Running elec fan off alternator?!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tripper

Older and more rusted every day!
Having to re-route the alternator wiring to the other side of the car on my new motor! Any reason I can't run a wire from the hot wire on the alternator to the elec fan?

BoB

fuse it though where is ground coming from sender, or switch , keep in mind something grounds the neg side fan going to run key on or off

Fuse for safety but i should think it will work fine, as said it will be hot all the time.
You just trying to save wire [S
Also, does it run off a temp switch[S

Last edited:
fuse it though where is ground coming from sender, or switch , keep in mind something grounds the neg side fan going to run key on or off

It's fused.

Fuse for safety but i should think it will work fine, as said it will be hot all the time.
You just trying to save wire [S
Also, does it run off a temp switch[S

Yep... it has a temp switch. Not trying to save wire but the fewer wires under the hood... the better IMO!

Thanks guys!

BoB

Fuse it and run it via a relay so it shuts off with the key.

Side note - My father, lord rest his frugal soul, had a 78 subaru that the fan circuit died on. So being frugal he just wired the fan into the first keyed circuit he could find...wound up being the main circuit that ran the ignition and fuel pump. Sooo...when you got out and shut the key off the car would run for about 2 minutes or until the cooling fan slowed down enough to stop generating electricity! [cl I used to get a kick out of people telling me "Hey you left your car running!" I would turn around, shoot it with my finger and laugh when it "died" :D

Latest posts

Back