Generator wire ???

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IronRat

Working on the electrical in '59 Super 88.

So far I've had the Generator rebuilt by a local shop. I've swapped out the Voltage Regulator, Horn replay/Junction box. Dist. cap, Rotor, Points, Condenser, Plug wires. Did a load test battery is strong. I'll be putting new 2/0 battery cables on this wk. and a battery ground disconnect switch.

> Will I benefit from increasing the size of the out-put wires on the generator? (I believe the Armeture Wire is 10ga. and the Field wire is 14g a.?)

> If i do increase, how large do I go?

Bigger is always better... within reason. If you know what amperage the wire needs to carry, figure your total circuit length (to and from the generator) and plug the numbers into this chart...

attachment.php

Attachments

• DC_wire_selection_chartlg.jpg
    DC_wire_selection_chartlg.jpg
    164.4 KB · Views: 38
How many amps is the generator? Looking at DrC's handy chart, 10awg is good for less than 3% voltage drop at 30A and less than 6ft. I say your good. Just shut off your headlights and heater fan when you drag race.

Thanks guys.

Almost all of the wiring is OEM, stiff, brittle some insulation cracking. Eventually, it needs to be swapped out. So, I'm prioritizing and addressing the wiring in order of importance. Charging system obviously #1, dash clock & vanity lights can wait.

I thought one ga. size up on the charging system would be a benefit.

….. Looking at DrC's handy chart, 10awg is good for less than 3% voltage drop at 30A and less than 6ft. I say your good…..

I was measuring the hood for insulation and it's 48x60" :) I did not measure the wire run from Generator to Voltage regulator but, I think it's no less that 8' of wire.

Well, if your gonna replace it anyhow... might as well step up one gauge. Who put's the regulator that far from the generator?! Usually it's as close to the power source as possible. It's not like it's short on room under the hood.

When you run new BAT cables, put in a good heavy ground to the frame and body too.

Dr. Crank is right! This is where bigger is better. Oem wire is good to go with sizes, but if you've made significant changes and added circuits, going to 8 ga, is not going to hurt anything and you'll have piece of mind. If you need to change out old wires and upgrade ratted out harness, make your changes then.

….added circuits, going to 8 ga, is not going to hurt anything and you'll have piece of mind. If you need to change out old wires and upgrade ratted out harness, make your changes then.

I am adding Stereo & Amp., nothing outrageous. I'll never put in an A/C unit nor do I think the heater motor will ever get turned on. I'm getting to the age were I don't want to drive at night and if I do I can turn off the music ;)

I am adding Stereo & Amp., nothing outrageous. I'm getting to the age were I don't want to drive at night and if I do I can turn off the music ;)

You've not heard old time rock and roll until you slam it with a killer amp and a couple subs....that 59 be Rocking....Ok...maybe just a couple hundred watt amp and one sub?? :D

Latest posts

Back