Painless performance, wiring help

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmlcolorado

I ordered a 28 circuit painless performance wiring harnes for my project and am starting to lay wiring out.
I noticed that the "tail section" which contains the tail lights, turn signals, license plate light, backup lights and brake light wires are all located inside the cab. I got the bulkhead connector and most of the wires that should be on the engine side of the firewall, are on that side. Just not the tail section.

The bulkhead connector does provide 20 extra blank slots and the needed terminals to use these slots, but it doesn't make sense why you would need to do that.
The kit also provides a handful of grommets for passing wires through, but I do not want to pass wires through, hence the bulkhead connector.

I just want to see if anyone has seen the same thing and what you did.
They provided about 18' of wire, which will reach the rear of the truck.

Here's the kit I bought.
http://www.painlessperformance.com/webcat/20104

Nevermind.
I bought the muscle car kit, not the truck kit.
Cars have all the tail lighting going through the interior to the rear. Trucks don't.
I just terminated 5 wires at the bulkhead and moved on.

Whoops. Live and learn.

28 circuits? What are you planning to wire up? [S

Toad

I HATE inline fuses with a passion.
If figured get the most I can, so I have the flexibility to do whatever I wanted in the future.
Worse thing that happens is I end up with a handful of u I see circuits under the dash.

This harness includes circuits for:

1-A/C & Heat
2-Accessory
3-Accessory / Cigarette Lighter
4-Accessory / Trunk Light
5-Backup Lights
6-Brake Lights
7-Charging
8-Cruise Control
9-Dome Light
10-Electric Choke Might be used for electric fuel shutoff solenoid for diesel shutdown
11-Electric Fuel Pump
12-Emergency Flashers
13-Fan Relay Activation Power
14-Fused Power Source
15-Headlights
16-Horn (Relay)
17-Ignition Coil won't be used. Diesel
18-Instrument Panel Lighting and Gauges*
19-Park Lights
20- Power Antenna won't be used
21-Power Door Locks won't be used
22-Power Windows won't be used
23-Radio/Clock (Constant and Switched)*
24-Starting
25-Tail Lights
26-Third Brake Lightmight be used
27-Turn Signals
28-Wipers

I also got the big kit in case I needed to add things later. I had to re-do my tail harness with 4 wires instead of 10+, same issue but mine didn't have the bulkhead connector either. Oh well, live and learn. Next time I'll get the pickup kit.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back