s10 alternator in a f100 - need wiring help?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sam_Fear

Brother Rat
Pulled the alt out of my junk s10 to replace the generator in my 63. Got it in and it charges, but I can get the charge light to come on?

It's a plfS connector. All I have connected is the Battery terminal and the 'L' terminal connected to the charge light with the other side connected to switched power. As I said, the alt will charge - I have an amp gauge. But when I turn the key to 'run' with the engine off, the charge light doesn't come on. If I touch the wire on the alternator side of the light to ground, it lights. No light when the engine is running either.

Is there something I need to wire different, or is the alternator bad?

Last edited:
You're not wired into the charge light circut. Nothing to make it work the way you have it
You will have to put the charge light in the circuit instead of the dummy light.

Only one light, I called it two different names. Edited my original post.

There is also a wire coming off the 'F' pin, but I don't have it connected to anything.

attachment.php

Well, sneakysnake's diagrams beg more questions. Is I the same as F? S terminal has no wire. Does one of those need power in order for the light to work? Guess I'll try hooking the F terminal to power? Switched or direct power?

Only one light, I called it two different names. Edited my original post.

I understand, sounded like you had an indash light and then another light.

I only know the ones like Old Iron posted the diagram of. The other one is Greek to me, never had any dealings with those.

It looks like I is fused and switched 12 volt. L is to the light. Not sure what F would be, field or fused?

Yeah, thanks SS!! That's what I was looking for.

Well, I just put a volt meter to it. It is charging. but not by much. Tried with the other wire on 12v. No difference. Starting to remember that s10 always cranked like the battery was low....hmmmm....

Gonna pull it and have it tested.

Latest posts

Back