Undead Sleds / Rat Rods Rule - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Sleepers, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007!

Go Back   Undead Sleds / Rat Rods Rule - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Sleepers, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007! > Builds!

Builds! Post your project here... show us what you're up to! Please Note: This section is for "Builds" ONLY!

Old 01-29-2022, 10:28 PM
Builder Junky!

Things went along nicely underneath the truck so the extension housing is back on. Then I crawled up into the cab to put the shifting apparatus back together. Life went sideways, ----- a few times. In the second picture about in the middle, you will see a small hole in the steel block, that a split pin would fit in. Once I got everything lined up and the detent ball in place, I couldn't find where I'd put that split pin, [four months ago]. After a wide ranging search I went to the box of shop supply pins and picked out a good one, and drove it in that hole, fixing the shift block to the shifter rail. I then mounted the gearshift lever and test drove the selection process. By third gear I was thinking positive thoughts, then the gearshift jammed in third and would not budge. I thought the detent ball had jammed and stopped the shifter travel. So, I drove that new split pin down, ---- and it stopped about halfway through the shift rail and wouldn't move any more, even with bigger hammers. I tried drilling that pin out, without much success. Then I screwed a really small tap into the split pin and pried up on it until I broke the tap off in the pin. As I was sitting at the supper table grumbling to Mrs. Mac, I had an epiphany. That proper split pin that I couldn't find was still in the steel shift block down low and when I drove in the second one I pushed the first one down a wee bit so it caught on something under there and now I'm trying to drive it through the top of the transmission case.
I don't know how I'm going to get out of this mess, but at least now I know what I'm fighting against.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3052.jpg (129.9 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3053.jpg (131.7 KB, 21 views)
Old 01-30-2022, 07:26 AM

Geez Mac. .............

That's frustration a at a whole 'nuther level.

"He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep to gain that which he can not loose."Jim Elliot
Old 01-30-2022, 08:04 AM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Roll pins are very hard as you know, you'll most likely need a solid carbide bit to get this one out.
Old 01-30-2022, 08:07 AM
Rusty Rat Rodder

MercuryMac Gyver... I`m sure you will figure out a way to get it out... I hope....
Old 01-30-2022, 08:05 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Iron View Post
Roll pins are very hard as you know, you'll most likely need a solid carbide bit to get this one out.
Not to mention the tap. Is there a way to get this part someone with a Bridgeport mill and bore it out with a carbide end mill?
Old 01-30-2022, 11:17 PM
Builder Junky!

This problem [of my own making] consumed me today, along with Dr. Crank's news. I only crawled up in the cab, [still up on the hoist], and stared at the offending area, to get more ideas.
Number one is OI's suggestion of getting a carbide 3/16" bit.
Number two is a little wee cutting disc that I could reach down in there and cut the steel block frontwards from the back, and just under the shifter rail, to cut off the roll pin. Then hopefully pull the shifter block out of there, drive out the rest of the pins, weld up the cut and then machine the block back to normal.
Kenny, I even gave some thought to your suggestion. But, I have to take that roll pin out of there to get the shifter block unhooked from the rail so I can take the transmission apart. So, whatever carbide tool I use has to be run manually from the top of the transmission.
Old 01-31-2022, 03:16 AM
Rusty Rat Rodder

This is quite the pickle you got yourself into. Should result in a little lost sleep and a whole lot of imagineering.

Don't give up, it's far too much fun once you can drive it.
Old 01-31-2022, 06:26 AM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Mac: Another thought. Would a small carbide or diamond bur in a Dremmel tool work in order to cut the pin from the inside, opposite of the split that is already in it? Run it at a low enough speed ,( and or with coolant) in order as to not burn up the cutting tool.
Old 01-31-2022, 09:10 AM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny c View Post
Mac: Another thought. Would a small carbide or diamond bur in a Dremmel tool work in order to cut the pin from the inside, opposite of the split that is already in it? Run it at a low enough speed ,( and or with coolant) in order as to not burn up the cutting tool.
I think Kenny is onto something. When I had to cut the wide splines out of my Pittman arm, I bought a box of diamond tip cutters from Harbor Freight. They had different sizes and head shapes. They cut pretty quickly, but donít last too long, either. I used them in my die grinder, but a Dremel tool could work, too.