Electric Radiator Fan - Shopping advice

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IronRat

Drove in our town's 4th of July parade today and learned my car does not like to creep along at 5 mph for 4 mi. behind a team of Clydesdale horse's pulling a wagon. :rolleyes:

Almost made it too, overheating 1 block from the end of the parade route. Of course better to learn here in town than on the Highway in a long back-up.

I'm off top the pick & pull to look for an Electric Radiator Fan. I know about the
'93-96 Mark VIII 2 Speed Electric Fan however, even if I found one it's 20 y.o. brushes & bearings wear out.

I have a 394 in my Olds. I was thinking late model full size Cadillac or full size Chevy, Dodge or Ford Truck as possible choices?

I've found after market controllers to monitor the fans. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQOZyTu49qc

I don't have A/C so not much demand on the Generator.

Any advice of donor cars to look for?

I'm thinking maybe a fan without a shroud would work best. It sounds like you need minimal extra air flow at idle, and it wouldn't jam up the airflow at Road speed. Just a theory.

I prefer electric fans because of the blazing hot Tejas summers & always go with a new one... here is my fav...

http://www.jegs.com/i/SPAL/063/30101516/10002/-1

And here's my fav controller...

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/SearchResultsPageCmd?Ntt=derale+16749&requestYear=&storeId=10001&catalogId=10002&langId=-1&year=&make=&model=&submodel=&engine=&Nrpp=&No=&persistYmm=false

I have sat in hot summer Houston traffic for an hour & never overheated with this combo!

BoB

I have almost the exact same setup in my RPU and it works great. Also ise a Summit aluminum rad.

I have a 160 stat and the controller is set to come on at 170. Temp cycles 170-180 in traffic, even crawling at 3mph in stalled traffic for 20 minutes in baking sun.

IMG_20160505_144912_zpszcrx4zdl.jpg

Sam - I agree I'm fine at highway speed @ 80 degrees. I just need some help when I'm crawling.

Tripper - I was worried that the lower CFM of the aftermarket fans would not be enough. If you were running this combo in Texas in your 1965 Chevrolet Chevelle then that's all the recommendation I need :D

Last edited:
I'm in the same boat. Gotta install another fan on my rig. The pusher I have in front doesn't move enough air through the rad. I'm thinking of installing one more on the upper backside of the rad. I probably should have looked at installing it differently the first time but meh. Sorry for hijacking your thread.

The pusher I have in front doesn't move enough air through the rad. I'm thinking of installing one more on the upper backside of the rad.

I always use a puller... pushers don't do as good of a job & actually block airflow. When my fan comes on I've had people ask if I have a blower (happened just the other day) & I laugh to myself... more like a sucker... haha!

Tripper - I was worried that the lower CFM of the aftermarket fans would not be enough. If you were running this combo in Texas in your 1965 Chevrolet Chevelle then that's all the recommendation I need :D

Using this setup on my Nova & ratty '41 Ford with a big Nailhead. You can get a higher CMF Spal fan... they just cost more & draw more amps! I ran a double 12" fan setup on the Chevelle because it had A/C.

BoB

Bob if you have any pics of how you ran the wiring, I'd be interested in seeking them. I'm always open minded to different ideas.

My Drivers side firewall space is pretty full. I was thinking about mounting what looks like a relay? on the Pass side firewall.

Also, I believe I understand this unit is triggered by a water temp sending unit? Do you think I might be able to run a local Water Temp gauge off the same sending unit?

Bob if you have any pics of how you ran the wiring, I'd be interested in seeking them. I'm always open minded to different ideas.

My Drivers side firewall space is pretty full. I was thinking about mounting what looks like a relay? on the Pass side firewall.

Also, I believe I understand this unit is triggered by a water temp sending unit? Do you think I might be able to run a local Water Temp gauge off the same sending unit?

I used an electronic fan controller, that has a built in relay and I wired it direct to the alternator output, as it was right there near the radiator. It also has a fuse built in, so no point running wires hither and yon, keep it simple.

Yes, I know it is not traditional, but neither is overheating in traffic, or bursting hoses and frying wires......

I doubt it. Usually the temp unit for a fan is an on/off signal set for a certain temperature range, not a variable signal. Besides that, aren't gauge and sender units matched sets?

Used to run this in my Mustang. Don't know the cfm but it pulls a ton of air and it's a monster! Came in '89-'9? Thunderbird Super Coupes. There's a lot of them in the Pick-n-Pull yards. Cost me $12.50 on half price day. Should cool your 394 in traffic, no problem!

Latest posts

Back