A Massey-Harris 33.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The tank stand is re-fitted with a filter housing bracket, primed, and painted.

Out of laziness, I left making a bracket for the hydraulic pump until it was really hard to get at. So now, I'm making carboard templates and transferring them to 1/8" plate. [no pictures yet.] It even took a while to figure out how to fish the template in to check for fitment. You can bend and partly fold cardboard up to coax it into a weird small place, but you have to remember that once you transfer the likeness to iron, you can't be as hamfisted.

Attachments

• IMG_3018.jpg
    IMG_3018.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_3019.jpg
    IMG_3019.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 12
The other day I was whining about trying to build a hydraulic pump bracket down under the fan shroud. After a lot of dreaming and testing and tweaking, I got the bracket done. Pic one and two.
Then I mostly plumbed the tank and set it into place. Pic three and four.

Attachments

• IMG_3021.jpg
    IMG_3021.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_3022.jpg
    IMG_3022.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_3023.jpg
    IMG_3023.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_3024.jpg
    IMG_3024.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 15
I thought I needed a hydraulic oil filter in my system so here's one plumbed in. It turned out to be the job from heck. The handle for the shut off valve is re-formed and painted but still drying, and not installed.

Attachments

• IMG_3025.jpg
    IMG_3025.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 16
I'm glad we're back 'on forum', as I was already suffering withdrawal symptoms. Here's a picture of my hydraulic pump mounted. There were quite a few tests before I got the bracket close to not making the pump bind.

Attachments

• IMG_3026.jpg
    IMG_3026.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 15
If you're going to have a hydraulic system on your unit, you should have a way to fill the tank, right? Well, Here we go. That's a fake chrome tube and a homemade bulkhead/elbow/filler nozzle. There was a hole butchered in the grille top, [probably for a hydraulic tank filler] so I plumbed my filler to fit in it and cover up the messy hole.

Attachments

• IMG_3027.jpg
    IMG_3027.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 8
How will you know when it's full Mac? Take out a plug on the side of the tank?[S

'Nother question, I see you are driving it off the front of the crank, how did you connect the two?
Reason I ask, I'm thinking about doing the same on my IH. The stock pump puts the hydraulic oil into the engine. Used pumps are few and far between, unknown quality, and pricey$$$$. I was thinking about a crank driven pump, bypassing the stock pump that I have to leave in place because the distributor drives off the end of it. Figured I might be able to loop the lines on it and keep some oil in it for lube, as long as it isn't under pressure it doesn't lose any oil into the motor. Or I may just buy a seal and gasket kit for my pump, but the last seal I put in it didn't do anything, it still leaked under pressure....

Bama, I have made a gauge on the front of the tank, [you can see it in post #402, fourth picture], but it will be hard to see when the hood is on there. I'll have to check it once every year or two.
I had the power steering pump on my old Kenworth do something like your hydraulic pump is doing, only in reverse. My pump drew engine oil out of the accessory drive and kept overfilling the power steering tank. Those seals are double acting and have to be perfect.
The crank nut on my motor was chewed up horribly so we threw it away and got a short bolt the same size. We lathed a hole in the middle of the bolt from the head end, [the same size as the pump shaft], and milled a keyway in it. We also lathed the hex head of the bolt down to tapered round, so it looked like it was supposed to be there.
Nobody in their right mind would take an old oil filler cap apart and rebuild it, if that cap had been run over, by a steel wheeled tractor, in the dark, while drunk, and then shot from a canon at a cement wall, would they? Well, I'll know better next time. Here is the cap, fixed mostly.

Attachments

• IMG_3031.jpg
    IMG_3031.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 13
Today, I finished up the hydraulic tank vent tube and cap. There's a little bit more done on the filler opening, too.
Bama, I should have told you that my gauge is a clear plastic tube running up from the bottom of the tank to the top so the level of the oil in the tank will be same as the level in the little tube.

Attachments

• IMG_3032.jpg
    IMG_3032.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_3033.jpg
    IMG_3033.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 14
I remember now you doing that Mac. My memory has been a bit foggy lately.

Looks like you’re about ready to fire it off.[cl

I got a few little things done today. The input hose to the hydraulic pump needed a swivel and a forty-five* elbow, plus going from ORB #8 to 1/2" pipe. There was no extra room in there but I found a couple of fittings that I made work and tightened them in there. [#1] I had to use several different crowfoots, a wobbly extension, a straight extension, and scarred up hands.
The hydraulic tank filler spout had to be made to stay clamped to the grille and look nice and era correct. So that's done now and in primer.

Attachments

• IMG_3039.jpg
    IMG_3039.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_3040.jpg
    IMG_3040.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_3041.jpg
    IMG_3041.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 23

Latest posts

Back