My 40 Dodge Truck Build - Maybe a 41 LOL

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How low can you go Momma?

Pulled the skates out so I can work on the headers and collectors at proper ride height. Looks sweet! Did I say how excited I am???? LOL

I have to cut and twist that 3rd primary in to get it into position....then work on some pie cuts to make the elbows to connect to the flange straights.

Did I say. how..... oh never mind :eek:)

I better soak in the hot tube tonight before I have a stroke :eek:)

Attachments

• DSCF5775.jpg
    DSCF5775.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 33
  • DSCF5778.jpg
    DSCF5778.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 32
  • DSCF5777.jpg
    DSCF5777.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 32
  • DSCF5774.jpg
    DSCF5774.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 32
Ya [cl
I finally got your part shipped this morning. They said it should get to you this Monday.

Last edited:
Header Build

I say that word header build with a pit in my stomach. I'd so much like to be able to but a set and bolt em on but here we go.

First I have a question.... are there any issues tacking the tubes to the header while the flanges are bolted to the heads? Obviously I can't be burning thru....I'm just talking light tacks to get all the tubing in place. I had visions of arcing across the clyinders / pistons ect. I suppose not any different than welding my motor mounts in-place but felt I needed to ask.

So I bought some U tubes and a cool template / jig for marking pie cuts for the short ells I have to fab up. I saw a cool cutting plate for my chop saw online and fabbed one up. I cut my first ell and it took a lot of fit work with the belt sander to make it fit nice.

I wasted some time on fitting the first piece until I realized the straights coming out of the header flange were not flat / square.

I sliced 2.5" out of the straight run of the first primary to bring the tubes / collector in closer to the frame.....Don't have a picture of the tighter first run yet. But there is a pic of them looking too long.

I'm not sure how I am going to tack these small ells in....I need to make some sort of clamp....

One more question.... would it be a problem if I wanted to use a backing ring on the straight welds? I believe 1 7/8 OD would slide into my 2" 18 gauge tightly....

Thanks

Here we go

Attachments

• DSCF5777.jpg
    DSCF5777.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 17
  • DSCF5782.jpg
    DSCF5782.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 19
  • DSCF5784.jpg
    DSCF5784.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 19
  • DSCF5786.jpg
    DSCF5786.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 18
  • DSCF5788.jpg
    DSCF5788.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 18
Your ok to weld with the flanges bolted to the engine, just make sure your ground clamp has a good contact on the tube you are welding on. I wouldn't put a backer inside it will impeed flow. I order 16 gauge elbows so the welding is easier, 18 gauge takes real low heat on the welder.

Latest posts

Back