54 resurection

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dually

Well Here Are Pics Of When I Drug The Ol Girl Out Of Ghe Field Where It Had Sat For Years, And a Progress Pic. I Found A Killer Deal On Tires/Wheels At A Swap Meet.Took 2 Leaves Out Of The Bak For Couple Inches Drop, Killed Half A Dozen Mice, Pulled The GasTankAndCleanedIt. Th Interior Is In Grest Shape Ecxept The Headliner Where The Mice Lived. I Pulled The Plugs, Squirted Some Oil Down The Cylinders And Hand Cranked It Over, No Problem. Put a Battery In Yesterday And Danged If It Didnt Start. But Only For AFew Seconds Because It Wants To Run Away....Full Throttle No Matter What I Do.Not Sure Why. Its A Quadrajet, AndI Have Pulled And Cleaned It To No Avail. More Thinking To Do, But Heck...It Started.

Attachments

• IMG_20130419_092837_365.jpg
    IMG_20130419_092837_365.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_20130508_220823_082.jpg
    IMG_20130508_220823_082.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 77
Thanks guys. I know I'm pretty lucky, its in pretty good shape to start with. I do have a Chevy 350 on a stand in the shop on standby, if this setup is a bust, but I thought this might be kool and different if I can get the bugs out. Right now, I don't care about mega power, I just wanna drive it.lol

sweet looking project. Know what I would do with that quadrajunk......... less than $200 you can find a nice intake and carb to put on top....

Last edited:
Hey Neverdone, I like your way of thinking. I have a nice holly 650 AND an Edelbrock 600,(nearly new) sittting on the shelf. Swap the manifold and I'd be good. I'll see what happens today with this thing.
It needs wired head to toe so I have plenty to do in the mean time. Gotta figure out some seat belts, exhaust, wiper motor, bumpers, bed wood ect. before I can get it inspected. Right now its classified as scrap....no title. I also plan to paint something on the doors to make it my ranch truck.

Hey Neverdone, I like your way of thinking. I have a nice holly 650 AND an Edelbrock 600,(nearly new) sittting on the shelf. Swap the manifold and I'd be good. I'll see what happens today with this thing.
It needs wired head to toe so I have plenty to do in the mean time. Gotta figure out some seat belts, exhaust, wiper motor, bumpers, bed wood ect. before I can get it inspected. Right now its classified as scrap....no title. I also plan to paint something on the doors to make it my ranch truck.

Trust in God, but tie your horse.[/QUOTE]

Trust in God, but tie your horse...

Don't know what happened there,,,,rooky mistake I guess.
Not much progress yet. Had the carb off and back on 4 times cleaning, recleaning and checking for something that would cause it to be at full tilt boogy at startup. Still stumped but not out for the count yet. Checked around a little and found out this 301 is a problem child as far as finding aftermarket intake for it. That 350 is looking better all the time.

Update: Well, I've been chipping away at little things, and the more I do, the more I find there is to do. And this just to get it driveable.

It runs! Really rough right now, hopefully the carb rebuild, plugs and wires will smooth it out. I got the brakes (front and rear discs) bled and the pads were actually pretty good. After I had brakes, it was safe to see if the tranny worked, and...ta da! it drives. Backed it 200 feet down to the barn and then back to the garage.Felt pretty cool. I found that the transmision cooler lines are just looped, and there is no cooler, so that along with ALL the wireing is next. The previous owner cut all the wires and I can't aford an aftermarket wiring harness, so I have some head scratching to do. I may have questions for you guys about that as I get in to it.

It is a good motivator when you get it to move under its own power.

I'm sure you can handle the wiring.

Hi, I have not bought an aftermarket wiring harness but I hear a lot of good things about them from guys who have bought them. I finished up wiring a truck and there was times that I wished there was an easier way to gain wisdom. Wisdom to go and buy an aftermarket harness. Most of the job went pretty good but all those wires to all those switches on the steering column got me down, and some turkey had cut all the wires off at the bottom of the dash [me]. Anyhow, Good Luck.

Well boys, I'm gainin little by little. Bought a used front and rear bumper from a local guy and got them on. Back one no problem, front one took some time due to the Pontiac clip. Had to weld on some brackets. Now I'm only a so so welder when the work is flat, upside down? Lets just say it aint pretty, but it seems to be solid. Today I found and bought a aftermarket wiring harness at a local (Cour D Alene) swap meet. Should help with my wiring nightmare.
Rebuilt the carb, man I hate quadrajets, and the dang thing still runs poor. Won't idle and is rough as a cob. Re gapped all the plugs and put on new wires. Every day I get closr to pulling it out and dropping in this 350. Shoot, I just wanna drive it further than the barn and back. .Heres some progress pics...

Attachments

• 2013_0615540001.JPG
    2013_0615540001.JPG
    87.5 KB · Views: 27
  • 2013_0615540004.JPG
    2013_0615540004.JPG
    87.2 KB · Views: 25
  • 2013_0615540005.JPG
    2013_0615540005.JPG
    92.9 KB · Views: 24
  • 2013_0615540008.JPG
    2013_0615540008.JPG
    89.4 KB · Views: 24
  • 2013_0615540010.JPG
    2013_0615540010.JPG
    74.3 KB · Views: 24
  • 2013_0615540017.JPG
    2013_0615540017.JPG
    84.4 KB · Views: 28
I'm not a big Q-jet fan myself. What about getting an adapter? They make an adapter to convert a Q-jet to square bore. There not pretty but they work well. Put that edelbrock on it and be done. :D

Hey Undercover, ITook Your Advice And Traded Out That Carb. I Had To Go With The Holly Due ToSpace Limitations,And Still Had To Remove One Fended Brace To Fit It. RePonce Improved, And Now It Will Idle, But Still No Power, Like Spurin A Dead Horse. More Work To Do, But I Appreciate Everyones Input.

I guess I'm not so good at keeping a "build log" like some of you guys, but here is an update. Got her purrin like a kitten after messin with timing again and again, new plugs and fine tunin the Holly. The big project was the wiring. My biggest challenge! But, with some head scratching and a little research, I got all the harness installed and all the lights working. KInda confused why my horn doesnt work as I can put power to the wire under the dash and she blows, but all in all I'm calling it a success.
Also got the holes from the old mirrors on my doors welded up and puttied over. Every day gets me closer. Today I am going to try and paint my door graphics, and start on the bed floor. I'm just doin plywood with a rubber mat so that at least should be easy.
Thanks to all who offered advice and encouragement.
I am new shocks and a transmission cooler away from driving it down the road. Oh...and inspection,title and licence. Hope that goes ok. heres the latest pics:

Attachments

• 2013_0712truck0007.JPG
    2013_0712truck0007.JPG
    85.3 KB · Views: 12
  • 2013_0712truck0011.JPG
    2013_0712truck0011.JPG
    67.3 KB · Views: 11
  • 2013_0712truck0017.JPG
    2013_0712truck0017.JPG
    67.1 KB · Views: 11

Latest posts

Back