carter afb for ford

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

410merc

hi guys I have a question , I have a 410 merc in my 74 ford ranger xlt and I have a holly carburetor on it I bought the carb new a few years ago and it just doesn't seem to work right and seems to burn a lot of gas , now here's my question does carter make a afb with the ford kickdown linkage , I allways had great luck with afb's thanks guys

Put an Edelbrock on it and if you need the kickdown you can either modify yours or go to something like a Lokar setup. Edelbrocks are the modern version of the old AFB Carters.

Don

Yeah, those old FE engines were never known for great fuel economy. You might be better off to put some kind of overdrive transmission behind it.

20 years ago my dad had a 2ton farm truck with a 390 4bbl holly and the fitting on the gas line started leaking well we fooled with it a little and needed the truck right now and we had a afb carter of a old caddilac so we put it on their that improved it some but It ran way smother so we left it on their so that's kind of what I thought a little sipler carb also

I think Edelbrock bought the patents to the Carter AFB's and made some improvements..........at least that is what I recall happening. If you put something like a 1406 Edelbrock on there it will probably be just a bolt on and drive situation. They are very user friendly, and in stock form they are detuned a little for smooth street operation. I like them a lot.

I have bought a bunch of them over the years from All American Carburetor here in Florida. They sell refurbished ones that look and run like brand new and they get something like $200 each vs over $300 for brand new ones. And you can set them side by side with a brand new one and can't tell the difference. I'm running two of them on my 27 right now.

Don

sorry it took so long , I fially got some time to really work on it , so here's what I did 'like I said before I ben away from this for about 20 years } so I first noticed looking the carb over the rubber plug that plugs the large vacuum line was split , this carb and plug is only a few years so I fixed that ckecked the front plug that one split also fixed that now I'm going to time it, its running a little better by this time well then I noticedthe vacuum advance wasn't working ot all so I took the top of the distributer apart cleaned everything weights plate polished that so it moved nice then I remembered some of the ford vacuum advances have a adjustment screw so put it all back together adjusted the point gap to 018 also adjusted the vacuum advance then put the guage on it and done the air fuel mixture , started it up runs perfect step on the gas no dead spots just instant power but still has a little of a chppy idel perfect!!!

Latest posts

Back