Pressure washer recommendations

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I prefer gas power myself, more portability, don't have to have AC outlet or extension cords, more pressure unless you buy a high $ steam cleaner. I've had both, gas is twice as good IMHO. My current one is a Sears Craftsman. Had a Campbell Hausfield one time, wore it out. Any of them with a Briggs or Honda engine should do a good job.

I'd go with a honda. I work at a refurbishment company and I work on those quite often. Honda makes about the best engine on the market right now. And parts are cheap for them too.

I bought the best electric one I could buy, at the time and liked it pretty well but, I think the next one will be a gas model

Generally it is not the engine you have problems with it is the pumps. Had a troy built with a Honda engine (Lowes) and the pump lasted around 50 hrs. Looked them up on line and found out the pumps are junk on a lot of the cheaper pressure washers. I now have a Yamaha pressure washer with a brass pump (not aluminum) and it works great. With any pump put RV antifreeze solvent through it in the fall or it will freeze in the winter destroying the pump.

The biggest problem with the better washers is the price, $800 and up. My Yamaha came with a three year parts and labor warranty. Best to check because some come with only a 1 year.

I know this isn't what you asked about but it may answer someone elses questions

we have a company here that rents them .. for $25 a day ( I heard) i think Id rent one my self before I bought one .. some aren't that good (Not much pressure ) I didnt even know they rented them till about a month ago ..

When we get settled down. I will buy a used gas powered one.

I'd be careful buying a used one. I bought a used one off of CL that looked like new, it didn't last but a few times before it quit. One I have now is a Sears Craftsman, somebody bought it, couldn't figure it out or something, and returned it to the store. They wiped it up was all they did to it, the spray tips were still in the sealed bag. Apparently they didn't read the instructions and didn't know you had to put a tip in the wand to get a pressure spray.:confused: I got it for a little over half price, with a years warranty. Lot of times stores will have returns like this or floor display models you can pick up reasonable.

Ah Ha! Rental....that is the way to go for me. Thanks Toad. Just a little baked on grease on this big block that is going in the C bucket and a little more grunge on the Vette .

Did you get this taken care of? If not, I have an HF electric you can borrow. :)

When possible I drag stuff to the local self service car wash. Heated pressure washer with integrated soap works well.

I also have a small electric one for the deck/house but it is pretty wimpy.

With pressure washers, like most things, you get what you pay for.

Remember to never let one freeze (solid) in the winter because ice in the pump will ruin it.

I'd be careful buying a used one. I bought a used one off of CL that looked like new, it didn't last but a few times before it quit. One I have now is a Sears Craftsman, somebody bought it, couldn't figure it out or something, and returned it to the store. They wiped it up was all they did to it, the spray tips were still in the sealed bag. Apparently they didn't read the instructions and didn't know you had to put a tip in the wand to get a pressure spray.:confused: I got it for a little over half price, with a years warranty. Lot of times stores will have returns like this or floor display models you can pick up reasonable.
before i actually bought one i would look it up online and see parts availability ,durability etc.
ive had enough crap and i dont ned more.
either brand new with warranty or something a normal guy can fix

before i actually bought one i would look it up online and see parts availability ,durability etc.
ive had enough crap and i dont ned more.
either brand new with warranty or something a normal guy can fix

I had an electric one I bought from WalMart one time. It was a Campbell Hausfield, a good brand, also had a gas one from them once that was real good until the engine blew, that was why I bought the electric made by the same company. Anyway, the electric one suddenly lost pressure one day. Couldn't figure it out, got the manual out, determined it must be the pressure spring or valve bad, turned out to be the spring was toast, rusted away. Even with having the model number, serial number, and even the part number off of the diagram in the manual, Campbell Hausfield couldn't furnish me a spring, or even tell me the specs on the original! I ended up giving it to a buddy for parts. So, even with brand names, you never know on parts availability.

Latest posts

Back