Bolt to engines together.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hudsonhotrod

Hope this is the right place to post this. Have any of you guys ever bolted two v8 motors together and run them as a v16? A few of my buddies and I have a weird build in mind and it involves running 2 352 Ford motors that are connected together. Anyone done this? If so how did you connect them and how do you set the timing to get them to run right together? Ken

This guy did it using a v16 truck engine .

Attachments

• rear engine 40.jpg
    rear engine 40.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 20
Dragster guys used a chain coupler for years. I think somebody finally found an industrial rubber coupler that is strong enough.
You don't get twice as much power out of the two engines as you would expect. Something to do with harmonic vibrations and like that. Crankshaft failure is another problem. Gobs of torque, though, I bet!

This guy did it using a v16 truck engine .

Not to hijack, but the engine in that truck is not a V16, nor is it 2 engines. It is a GMC V12, which resembles two GMC V6 engines mated together, but it is actually one single casting. Here's a pic of one...

GMCV12%20001.jpg

Last edited:
Hope this is the right place to post this. Have any of you guys ever bolted two v8 motors together and run them as a v16? A few of my buddies and I have a weird build in mind and it involves running 2 352 Ford motors that are connected together. Anyone done this? If so how did you connect them and how do you set the timing to get them to run right together? Ken

Check this out....
http://www.dodge-pt.com/products/pt_components/couplings/chain_coupling.html
You have to bring both motors on # 1 and have both hitting at the same time. It isn't hard, just take your time and do it right....[P[;):cool:

screamin metal is rite

rhe thread he gave (dodge) sells the chain set up hooks front engine together i'm try ing to do the same 2 5oo cads together with 400 trans 9' ford rear in 39 chev 2 door on tube frame straight axle in front i have posted a bunch of questions on here be ahellva ride[cl[cl[cl[cl[cl loll

This might help also....Check into some of these. Usually on the motormounts, they just sit on top of the frame tubes and the motor can be slide back and forth on the frame....once things are lined up.....bolt holes are drilled into the frame tubes......Back in the old days....I've seen them held down with the highstrength stainless steel hose clamps, and it seemed to work! Ha! Anything for the racing.....
http://twotogo.homestead.com/
Hope this helps.....[P[;):cool:

Hey thanks guys! We want to run the motors inline and mount them in the box of a 67 Ford long box pickup. It's just a fun project that we want to run at our local 1/4 mile track. A few of us are going to pitch in on the building and all take turns running it at the track. It's just in the planning stage now but want to get after it as soon as the snow is gone. Should be fun!

Not to hijack, but the engine in that truck is not a V16, nor is it 2 engines. It is a GMC V12, which resembles two GMC V6 engines mated together, but it is actually one single casting. Here's a pic of one...

GMCV12%20001.jpg
[/QUOTE

You are correct , I knew that ,I even drove a GMC cab over with one in it , that my bro in law owned back in the day .

Don't know about 2 engines in a car in line but here's 7 inline on a Harley my good friend Doc built

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxzDSvZ1CyA

Wow that's kinda cool . Notice it has stabilizer wheels ,look like training wheels on a bicycle . Did they ever consider a trike rear instead . Looks like the trike set up would be stronger and look a whole lot better .

Wow that's kinda cool . Notice it has stabilizer wheels ,look like training wheels on a bicycle . Did they ever consider a trike rear instead . Looks like the trike set up would be stronger and look a whole lot better .

No, it was always intended to be a straight up motorcycle, he added the stabilizers after test riding it, it was too much of a handful at slow speeds.

Latest posts

Back