Question about sediment bowls

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smallfoot

He's rockin' the "Nuttin Special"!
Guys, I have a sediment bowl fixture that I want to use from an old furnace system using fuel oil. The fittings are good for size for my application...3/8" fuel line and 1/4"npt threads. My question is on the inside fuel hole which appears to be just a small slot. Is anybody running something similar without problems? I question the fuel flow needed. I looked in tractor supply yesterday, checking the different offerings for tractors and found only ones that had the same problems. Find ones that looked good for fitment but the flow looks choked down to much thru the whole assembly. Some came with cutoff valves that I'd like to go with but don't want to starve the fuel to the edelbrock. I'm looking to place a cutoff valve at or before the sediment bowl and a second inline fuel filter right before the carb. I have been looking for alternative fuel valves also but don't really want to spend $100 for a peterson valve. any ideas here?

I guess there's no real reason for it other than I think they are kinda neat Don. I just ruined a cutoff valve trying to open it up some...succeeded in opening it up alright but screwed it up where it doesn't shut off any more...Haven't had any input on the sediment bowls which leads me to believe not many try it or they don't work well or sumpin...it's ok if I don't. Been running single filters for years without any major problems so it doesn't hurt to go that way.

I don't know about the ones you are looking at, but my 1955 IH tractor has one from the factory on the gravity feed fuel system, and it flows plenty good! My shutoff went to leaking, so I had to plug it off, now when you take off the bowl, the gas flows out real fast while you clean the bowl! You learn to clean it fast! :eek:

Bamamav, that was one of the ones I looked at in tractor supply. The actual bore thru the connectors looked like less than 3/16" and the feed down into the bowl still looked like a very small slot. I was hoping someone could tell me they flowed enough to use on a small v8. I kinda like the idea of seeing anything you might pick up in fuel. Trash and water are easy to see before you feed them thru the carb. When I was building my house out here, I totally shut down operations one day when I stopped on the way out by a local gas station. He evidently was down to the bottom of his fuel tanks and I picked up enough water to shut down everything I filled up that day. Tractor shut down, generator shut down, truck shut down. I didn't get much work done that day except on those items.
I'm not against abandoning that idea guys. I've got a see-thru inline on it which works some on seeing crap in the fuel...I'll just go that way I guess.

I have an old Carter sediment bowl on my '58 Plymouth. Works good. They are still out there if you look.

As far as a shut off valve, I have been using a hardware store 90 degree gas valve for 8 years with zero issues. It is mounted at the tank & holds the fuel just fine.

I would think it would work ok. The float bowl should have enough fuel in it fo wide open blasts and even with less flow at the sediment bowl it should keep up unless you are running wide open for really long periods of time. Remember the jets in the carb aren't that big.

Latest posts

Back