off road diesel vs highway diesel?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billy

Motor mouth ratchet jaw!
there is a place nearby that has 3 deisel pumps
1 diesel
2 highway diesel
3 off road diesel
can i run any of them i want in my 24v cummins 5.9l ?

Don't know about your neck of the woods but round here there is no road tax on the off road diesel which makes it quite a bit cheaper. No difference in the fuel that I know of EXCEPT it is red in color and if you get caught on the road with red fuel there are huge fines, and the DOT guys will check for it. Not as likely to get caught running it in a pickup but not worth the risk around here.

Ive heard of guys running used ATF. As for the red dye (off road), I wouldn't recommend it. I also would not recommend running marvels mystery oil In your fuel either.
Look up NTG RACING. Shoot them a call, joe or Pablo will answer and they are the go to guys here in San Diego for cummins performance/maintenance. They service mine and all my friends rides. They've also done some gnarly builds like a 1900ftlb 2005 cummins for my buddy johnny lupton. The red just insnt worth the fine, if it happened.

Snake Farm is correct, no difference in the fuel except the color, it's the taxes that's different. Sometimes they get serious about checking the fuel color, they will draw fuel from the tank or even loosen a line to get a sample. If it's red, you got some explain to do, and more than likely, a huge fine!:eek::eek::eek: Actually, I think it's the IRS guys that do the checking, I've had mine checked a few times.

Billy,
That truck has seen it's share of off road diesel. I used to run it all the time until I got checked in Texas. The guy had me sweating blood with a $10,000 fine so I quit running it. {In Texas} He let me off with a severe a$$ chewing. I've never been checked in New Mexico.

When I got stopped and checked in Texas I had a 100 auxiliary tank with a transfer pump in the bed. I think that's why he stopped me.

Bottom line is let your bank account status make your decision. If it can stand a huge fine to save a few bucks in road use taxes go for it brother.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think they make certain allowances if you are a farmer, but I'm not sure about it. Has to be limited highway mileage, with documented reports on the fuel usage and all that if it hasn't changed. But they way the Govt is money crazy, they may have done away with the exceptions. At one time here, when you bought off road fuel around here, they had to keep a book with who it was sold to and how many gallons were sold, and it had to be reported to the state every so often. You'd think it was uranium the way they kept up with it! I don't know if they still do that or not, I haven't bought any off road fuel in years.

It's not likely that you'd ever be checked, but then again, if you did run into a check and they caught you with off road fuel, the fine would be more than all the tax money you didn't spend.

I think they make certain allowances if you are a farmer, but I'm not sure about it. Has to be limited highway mileage, with documented reports on the fuel usage and all that if it hasn't changed. But they way the Govt is money crazy, they may have done away with the exceptions. At one time here, when you bought off road fuel around here, they had to keep a book with who it was sold to and how many gallons were sold, and it had to be reported to the state every so often. You'd think it was uranium the way they kept up with it! I don't know if they still do that or not, I haven't bought any off road fuel in years.

It's not likely that you'd ever be checked, but then again, if you did run into a check and they caught you with off road fuel, the fine would be more than all the tax money you didn't spend.
this is a credit card only unmanned fuel island with six pumps. There is not a human there period

Running off road diesel in a vehicle used on the hwy is NOT a good choice to make.
#1 diesel in the past was used in parts of the country that experienced very low temperatures during the winter. This is because #1 diesel will not gel up.
All of the big name brand station now put anti gel in their #2 diesel. Unless the temperatures are like the Arctic then, you'll never need #1

Running off road diesel in a vehicle used on the hwy is NOT a good choice to make.
#1 diesel in the past was used in parts of the country that experienced very low temperatures during the winter. This is because #1 diesel will not gel up.
All of the big name brand station now put anti gel in their #2 diesel. Unless the temperatures are like the Arctic then, you'll never need #1

speaking of gelling
my truck did it yesterday.
a shot of diesel911 fixed it
also i need to get the 3 cylinder high idle feature enabled

say what???????
Models: 1998 1/2-2002 BR/BE Ram Trucks

NOTE: THIS BULLETIN APPLIES TO ALL RAM TRUCKS BUILT AFTER DECEMBER 17,1997 AND EQUIPPED WITH THE 24-VALVE 5.9L CUMMINS DIESEL ENGINE.

Discussion:

This bulletin involves selectively erasing and reprogramming the Engine Control Module (ECM) with new software (Cal 55Tl8, 57Tl1, 56Tl3, 59T7b, and 59T8b.)

Symptom/Condition:

Extended idle operation, especially in cold weather, can lead to stuck valves and bent push-tubes due to insufficient cylinder heat. This allows varnishes/oils to condense on the exhaust valve stems, leading to stuck valves, and damaged valve train components. A new software feature, enabled or disabled through the DRB III (See instructions under Repair Procedure), reduces the chance of valve sticking and improves cab heat warm-up time.

Once enabled, idle speed will slowly ramp up from 800 rpm to 1200 rpm when all of the following conditions are met:

1. Intake Manifold Temperature less than 0°C (32°F) and,
2. Coolant Temp is less than 60°C (140°F) and,
3. The Transmission is in Neutral or Park and,
4. The Service Brake pedal is not depressed and,
5. Throttle = 0% and,
6. Vehicle Speed = 0 mph

Additionally, if Intake Manifold Temperature (IMT) is less than -9°C (15°F), and all of the parameters above are met, three of the cylinders will be shut off upon reaching 1200 rpm, creating a slight change in engine sound which is normal. This allows the engine to create increased heat in the cooling system, allowing more rapid engine warm up and cab heating.

Both features will automatically disable when one of the following occurs:

1. The Automatic Transmission is placed in gear (forward or reverse) or,
2. The Service Brake pedal is depressed or,
3. Throttle position is greater than 0% or,
4. Vehicle Speed is greater than 0 mph or,
5. Coolant Temperature is greater than 79°C (175°F).

Engine speed will return to normal operation at 800 rpm. If the engine continues to idle and coolant temperature is at or below 60°C (140°'F), the feature will reenable. In order to operate properly, the Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor (APPS) must stay at idle.

NOTE: ANY TYPE OF AFTERMARKET IDLE SPEED KICKER THAT ACTIVATES THE APPS WILL DISABLE THIS FEATURE.

Use of the 110V block heater will not allow the feature to function after an overnight soak. If the vehicle is left idling, without use of the block heater, 1200 rpm operation will begin when the intake temperature drops below O°C (32°F) and coolant is less than 60°C (140°F).

Diagnosis:

1. Using the Diagnostic Scan Tool (DRBIII) with the appropriate Diagnostic Procedures, verify all engine/transmission systems are functioning as designed. If other Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC) are present, record them on the repair order and repair as necessary before proceeding further with this bulletin.

Parts Required:
Qty. Part No. Description
1 04669020 Label, Authorized Software Update
1 04275086 Label, Authorized Modification

Equipment Required:
CH6000A Scan Tool (DRB III)
CH7035 General Purpose Interface Bus Cable (GPIB)
CH7000/7001 J1962 Cable
MDS2 (Mopar Diagnostic System)

NOTE: THE MDS2 AND DRB III ARE REQUIRED TO PERFORM PART OF THIS REPAIR. WHEN USING THE MDS2 AND THE DRB III, THE SYSTEM MUST BE OPERATING AT CIS CD 2090 OR HIGHER (2090 ARRIVES IN DEALERSHIPS ON SEPTEMBER 3, 2001).

Repair Procedure:

1. Log onto the MDS2 (Mopar Diagnostic System).

2. Connect the MDS2 and DRBIII to the vehicle and switch the ignition key to"ON".

NOTE: AUTO CONNECTION WILL OCCUR ONCE THE DRB III, MDS2, AND VEHICLE ESTABLISH COMMUNICATION. THE "CANNOT READ VIN FROM DRB III" MESSAGE (ON THE MDS2) WILL BE REPLACED BY THE VEHICLE VIN. PRESS THE "OK" BUTTON ON THE MDS2 TO REQUEST A L4DS2 SESSION FOR THE VEHICLE VIN INDICATED. PRESS THE "OK"BUTTON WHEN ASKED TO BEGIN SESSION.

3. Push the FLASH tab on the MDS2.

4. Select READ PART NUMBERS FROM VEHICLE and click SHOW UPDATES on the MDS2.

NOTE: A MESSAGE MAY APPEAR (AFTER STEP 3 OR 4) THAT INDICATES NO UPDATES ARE AVAILABLE. IF THIS OCCURS, MAKE SURE YOUR DIAGNOSTIC EQUIPMENT IS OPERATING AT THE LATEST SOFTWARE LEVEL AS LISTED EARLIER IN THIS BULLETIN. IF THE LATEST SOFTWARE IS INSTALLED, AND NO UPDATES ARE AVAILABLE ANOTHER VEHICLE CONDITION EXISTS THAT WILL REQUIRE FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

5. Select the new software part number with the light pen and click UPDATE CONTROLLER SOFTWARE.

6. The MDS2 and DRB III will prompt for any operator action needed during the remainder of the reprogramming process.

NOTE: DUE TO THE PCM REPROGRAMMING PROCEDURE, A DTC MAY BE SET IN OTHER MODULES (EATX, BCM, MIC, SKIM, ETC.) WITHIN THE VEHICLE, IF SO EQUIPPED. SOME DTC'S MAY CAUSE THE MIL TO ILLUMINATE. ALL DTC'S RELATE TO A LOSS OF COMMUNICATIONS WITH THE MODULE THAT IS BEING REPROGRAMMED. CHECK ALL MODULES, RECORD THE FAULTS, AND ERASE THESE FAULTS PRIOR TO RETURNING THE VEHICLE TO THE CUSTOMER. ERASE ANY FAULTS IN THE PCM ONLY AFTER ALL OTHER MODULES HAVE HAD THEIR FAULTS ERASED.

NOTE: ONCE THE VEHICLE HAS BEEN REPROGRAMMED TO THE PROPER SOFTWARE LEVEL, YOU MUST USE THE DRB III TO ENABLE THE 3 CYLINDER IDLE FEATURE. TO DO SO FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS BELOW.

7. Connect the DRB III to the vehicle without connecting to MDS2 and follow the menu structures it appears below.

8. MAIN MENU - 1998 - 2002 DIAGNOSTICS

9. 1998 - 2002 DIAGNOSTICS - ALL (EXCEPT BELOW)

10. SELECT SYSTEM - 1 ENGINE

11. CONTROLLER TYPE - 1 CUMMINS (ECM/ENGINE)

12. SELECT FUNCTION - 1 MISCELLANEOUS (Misc. is on second page)

13. 3.3 CYLINDER IDLE - Follow the instructions

The DRB III will indicate whether the feature is enabled or disabled.
14. Push 1 to Enable, 2 to Disable.

15. You are instructed to cycle the ignition to complete the repair.

16. Press Page Back to Exit.

NOTE: THE FOLLOWING STEPS ARE REQUIRED BY LAW.

17. Type the necessary information on the "Authorized Software Update Label" p/n 04669020 (Fig. 1). Attach the label to the PCM and cover the label with the clear plastic overlay.

Yet another case of too much electronic BS!
I wouldn't waste my time. Just condition your fuel for cold temp.
I'd bet you'll never see the problem they are trying to prevent especially in an engine with over 200,000 miles. Leave well enough alone and worry about something like your wife falling and blaming you cause you didn't clear the sidewalk.

You wanna borrow my shovel?

So what's the difference between the "diesel" and the "highway diesel" then? One is blended with #1?

From what I've seen at work, any additive is only good to around -10˚ or so before it starts gelling in the filters. After that you need #1 blended. That 911 is amazing stuff after a tank has gelled!

Last year, we were getting loads of straight #2 with CFI mixed, dumping a full or double dose of additive to the drops, and each drive would add a quart of PowerService to each 70 gal fill-up - tractors were still gelling after -10 or so. UPS has a no idling policy though so a lot of tractors would sit, not running, for hours or even a couple days. Mondays were a mess. The point is, eventually you need #1 in the mix or don't shut it off.

My '04-1/2 has cold start instructions on the back of the sun visor. I always let it idle for a good 5 minutes before I drive off. Also after a long drive I let it idle some more before shutdown. I run either lucas or power service. Thankfully never had my fuel gel.

state fuel tax

around here, the state tax guys used to show, up to farm auctions and start walking thru the parked trucks pulling fuel samples until the guy that was loosing his farm confronted them with his 45, told them they were trespassing, and to leave all the fuel samples they had stolen , and not to come back without a search warrent. I haven't heard of them going to any more farm auctions.

i have never heard of anybody actually checking in real life
only on the internet
of course thats the same place i was told the human body cannot withstand the recoil of a revolver chambered in .454 casull;) (btw i own one and have fired it thousands of times)

thanks for the info guys!

In Canada they dye farm gas purple. Again it is about taxes. If you get fought running purple gas and are not on farm business, you get a fine for dodging taxes.

Latest posts

Back