need info on car hops

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rust lover

Bleeds rust
can anybody help me i need info or photos of lasso car hop in everett, mass. and adventure car hop in natick mass. rt 9 or the one in rt 1 in malden mass

Attachments

• LassoCarHopEverettMass.jpg
    LassoCarHopEverettMass.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 12
  • carcrazy_radC643_large.jpg
    carcrazy_radC643_large.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 8
  • carcrazy_radC642_large.jpg
    carcrazy_radC642_large.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 8
I remember both of the Adventure Car Hops on Rt 1 and Rt 9 back in the early 60's. My hang out was Richards Drive-In Car Hop in Mattapan. Photos??? Sorry, all my pictures are in my head, all great memories. We'd all meet there and make a bee-line for the Blue Hills drive in movie theater. Afterwards we'd meet back at Richards for burgers (35 cents back then). At about 1:30 AM is when the joint starts jumping. The owner had a way to transmit a radio signal on AM radio with the voice of Wolfman Jack. Every Friday or Saturday night until about 4:00 AM the place was overrun with hot rods, painted or primed. It was like a combination Happy Days, American Graffiti, and auto show every week end. Every third car was driven by a Fonzi, and there was a dozen Milner cars. I was a member of the Lakeville Car Club in Jamaica Plain back then. Yeah, we messed with cops. We didn't hook a chain to the rearend, that was done in the early fifties, and the cop got hurt. We'd shove potatoes up the tail pipe so his muffler explodes, tighten up his rear brakes so his car won't go over 10MPH, hook a dumpster to his bumper so that it follows him down the highway. Of course later we would go back and fix any damage, buy him a cup of coffee, and we'd all have a good laugh.
I went into the Army in late 64, and ended up doing 3 tours in 'Nam. By the time I got in out 67 the whole area from Roxbury to Mattapan and beyond to the Blue Hills had become a ghetto. Richards was no longer safe to go to. By then most of the rodders had moved to the 'Burbs. It was the end of an era for us.

I remember both of the Adventure Car Hops on Rt 1 and Rt 9 back in the early 60's. My hang out was Richards Drive-In Car Hop in Mattapan. Photos??? Sorry, all my pictures are in my head, all great memories. We'd all meet there and make a bee-line for the Blue Hills drive in movie theater. Afterwards we'd meet back at Richards for burgers (35 cents back then). At about 1:30 AM is when the joint starts jumping. The owner had a way to transmit a radio signal on AM radio with the voice of Wolfman Jack. Every Friday or Saturday night until about 4:00 AM the place was overrun with hot rods, painted or primed. It was like a combination Happy Days, American Graffiti, and auto show every week end. Every third car was driven by a Fonzi, and there was a dozen Milner cars. I was a member of the Lakeville Car Club in Jamaica Plain back then. Yeah, we messed with cops. We didn't hook a chain to the rearend, that was done in the early fifties, and the cop got hurt. We'd shove potatoes up the tail pipe so his muffler explodes, tighten up his rear brakes so his car won't go over 10MPH, hook a dumpster to his bumper so that it follows him down the highway. Of course later we would go back and fix any damage, buy him a cup of coffee, and we'd all have a good laugh.
I went into the Army in late 64, and ended up doing 3 tours in 'Nam. By the time I got in out 67 the whole area from Roxbury to Mattapan and beyond to the Blue Hills had become a ghetto. Richards was no longer safe to go to. By then most of the rodders had moved to the 'Burbs. It was the end of an era for us.
do you remember richies drive in in medford, mass. or my old hang out the BIG BURGER on the revere beach parkway in everett, mass. i hung with tim carrol and his brother he had that custom car called the whale. i drove a t bird back then.

Richards in Mattapan and Ritchie's in Medford were owned by the same people. There were 3 or 4 people involved in the ownership of both drive ins. I knew a few Carrols back then. Carrol was a common name For the Boston area. I knew Eddie and Tommy Carrol of Roslindale, Ellen Carrol of Jamaica Plain, Frankie Carrol of Brighton, Bob Carrol of West Roxbury. I don't remember a Tim Carrol, or a car called the whale. I remember the Big Burger, my last two years there I lived on Francis St in Everett while I was going to college. I didn't know that many people. I didn't grow up in Boston. I grew up on a Reservation in South Dakota, moved to Boston in '58, and left in '70.

Richards in Mattapan and Ritchie's in Medford were owned by the same people. There were 3 or 4 people involved in the ownership of both drive ins. I knew a few Carrols back then. Carrol was a common name For the Boston area. I knew Eddie and Tommy Carrol of Roslindale, Ellen Carrol of Jamaica Plain, Frankie Carrol of Brighton, Bob Carrol of West Roxbury. I don't remember a Tim Carrol, or a car called the whale. I remember the Big Burger, my last two years there I lived on Francis St in Everett while I was going to college. I didn't know that many people. I didn't grow up in Boston. I grew up on a Reservation in South Dakota, moved to Boston in '58, and left in '70.
that is very strange i was born on francis st. in everett on 4/20 /52 then my family move to vine st. few streets down. caroll bros lived in chelsea. the whale was a 1956 ford all chrome motor it had the 6 lug rear end. and the chrome roll bar .

Latest posts

Back