50s Ford F1 Build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven't checked in here for a while. :eek:

You know I'm a fan of your "alternative" build and this... v v v v.... just plain ices it! Haha! :D [cl :D

attachment.php

Attachments

• Grilling.jpg
    Grilling.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 209
I like your ride too, but I'm not going to kiss your tail!
Glad to see you enjoying it.

Upon closer inspection of the picture POPS I believe that the woman was perhaps "Sample'n" some of DR's fine cooking that dripped onto the bumper.:eek: [ddd [cl
Looks like you are having way too much fun with your car DR. Good for you.[cl
Torchie.

I haven't checked in here for a while. :eek:

You know I'm a fan of your "alternative" build and this... v v v v.... just plain ices it! Haha! :D [cl :D

attachment.php

Thanks guys! Just got back from a camping trip for a week with the wife and daughter and two pups who are now not so green on camping!

We have talked a bit about getting a vintage camper and towing it with the rat as well, all in the near-ish future. Even though we would need to bring another car to get the family there, it would be super fun to do it!

Hoping today to replace the brake lines up front and maybe get to a charity car show with my daughter!

Pics and some progress

Worked on getting the torsion bars setup for the trunk, now the deck lid opens on its own!
Ordered a latch today, still need a lock cylinder and one for the glove box door as well soon so I can finish up the trunk into a working, lockable trunk.

Quick pic of the adapter hose for the temporary bbq grill we have setup.

Worked on some wiring as well, the door jam switches are in, just need to get a dome light mounted and wired in. Got all the cruise control switched wired in, but need to make a mount for them in the dash, as well as get the brake pedal cancel wired in to use it.

Horn needs a push button switch as well, the one that came with my steering wheel is crap, so I'll just add one in the dash. This is tested, and the horn does work.
Also wired in the OD on/off switch but I have not tested it, that will eventually be in the dash as well.

Put the glove box door on, that needs some work yet, but its getting there.

Also had my father paint the theme to this build on the back from the Johnny Cash song "One piece at a time".

Coming together, just need to find some more time to get the dash put together and doing some more wiring work.

pics for the pic hungry:

Attachments

• DSC05558.jpg
    DSC05558.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 47
  • DSC05559.jpg
    DSC05559.jpg
    191.7 KB · Views: 54
  • DSC05560.jpg
    DSC05560.jpg
    158.9 KB · Views: 53
  • DSC05561.jpg
    DSC05561.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 50
  • DSC05562.jpg
    DSC05562.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 54
So how do the cops like your ride???

You must have seen my facebook post eh? :D

The guys that pulled me over didn't say a word about it actually, obviously not a car guy. We will see what the Secretary of State has to say about my plate not being in the system even though I have my paperwork :rolleyes:

They gave me no grief about the truck at all thankfully last night. :)

Just been pluggin away at sheet metal in the trunk, and other odds and ends.
I'll try to get pics up soon, I've just been so busy with other things I have not had a chance to be on here much.... Picked up a class 4 hitch as well, going to get that put on soon.

looking great Rich

Truck looks awesome- glad to see the world loves it as much as we do.[cl
That Studebaker pickup from NY is local to me I think. I saw it a couple weeks ago at a show.

Some progress

Got the front shocks pulled apart, cleaned up, rebound tightened up, and the bump springs shimmed. Also changed the fluid to 30wt to try to stiffen up the triumph rotary shocks. I'll be test driving it soon.

Got the trunk floor pan skins in, I'll brace them this fall/winter when I pull the back 1/2 off to finish the wheel wells, and other areas.

Also got the fuel filler door assembly put in, still need to make the fuel filler bracket to hold the propane inlet.

Also picked up a hitch for free, just waiting on some more steel, and that will get put on.
Probably won't be able to tow much til I get some load leveling bags in the back, or switch the rear springs to air bags and add some bump stops for safety.

Some pics for the pic hungry.

Attachments

• DSC05563.jpg
    DSC05563.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 46
  • DSC05564.jpg
    DSC05564.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 50
  • DSC05565.jpg
    DSC05565.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 51
  • DSC05566.jpg
    DSC05566.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 49
Nothing really to report yet, as summer has wound down I still have not had time to wrench much. Mainly because I was sick for a couple weeks and just lost my drive to push forward on the project.

I'm a little frustrated that I have not been able to sort out the wiring issue that keeps the ECM and a couple fuel solenoids pulled in. I'm going to be digging into that soon.

I did find a little time to get the garage cleaning started, but I am nowhere near having it organized. This WILL happen in the next couple weeks so I am ready for winter work in the garage.

On a side note I had a guy stop by out of the blue to look at my rat because it was sitting in the driveway and he offered me an air brake air tank that he found while scrapping. The price was right (free) so I took it and I guess I'm starting a parts gathering for either air bags for the rear or just helper air bags for when I am towing with the rat.

Good to hear from you DR.:D
Wiring issue can get frustrating but hang in there. You will get it sorted out.
Cleaning and organising the garage seems to be the one constant on every build doesn't it?[S

Cool gift of the air tank. The only one that ever stops by my house is the mailman and all he ever gives me is bills and junk mail.......:p
Torchie.

wiring issue that keeps the ECM and a couple fuel solenoids pulled in.

Hi DR - what do you mean by "pulled in". I also had issues with my ECM and fuel relays when I first got it hooked up. In fact, had to by pass the connectors to get fuel for awhile.

You have a 4.6L, correct?

John

Hi DR - what do you mean by "pulled in". I also had issues with my ECM and fuel relays when I first got it hooked up. In fact, had to by pass the connectors to get fuel for awhile.

You have a 4.6L, correct?

John

5.4L actually (propane powered as well)

By pulled in, I mean that the solenoids are getting powered to switch the state of the fuel valving. There are 4 solenoid valves by the motor to control fuel flow (probably redundant setups for safety).

So on the update front, I rewired this to only power the coil side of the ECM relay with the key on so that now when I kill the key, it kills the ECM relay as well. So far it seems to be working fine, but I need to hard wire it in, its just setup as a test.

Long term I'm planning on getting rid of all the factory fuse box and relay boxes, but who knows if I'll actually do it or just clean up what I have and build a console around it because if it works thats all that matters.

I've been stalled on this project for a bit, but hopefully I can find that fire again and start busting out some of hte things I REALLY want done for next year. I want it to be done enough that I can enjoy more of next years shows and cruises.

Latest posts

Back