RPU, bodywork underway.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's going to be a KILLLER ride Don.
I'm too big a wuss to ride around without a shade over my head but I can sure know and appreciate the work it takes to produce something like your build.

NICE!!!
I'll bet there are enough left over top parts to fabricate a Carson top somewhere down the road. :D :D :D Hint...

Thanks, guys, I appreciate the comments.

Today was kinda of a fun day, we are finally to the stage of bolting on parts that are painted and finished. Such a change from all the sanding and priming and painting.

On critical things like the suspension I am using grade 8 bolts and hardware, but on the body and interior I am going to use chrome button head, allen head bolts and nuts. I have been collecting a whole bunch of them in sizes from number 10 to 3/8, and am finally getting to use them to bolt stuff back on. They contrast really well against the satin black paint and the white firewall.

We got the chrome fuel block mounted today, as well as the under dash brake pedal assembly. I also got the seat framework that I painted yesterday bolted in. It feels like we are getting to the end, and I could put the body on the frame except that I want to keep it on the body dolly so I can roll it down the way to the upholstery shop when they are ready for it.

Tomorrow Dan and I are going to push the frame out and start aligning the axles and tightening up all the nuts and bolts for the last time. We should also be able to put all the fluids in the engine, transmission, and rear axle, in preparation for firing it up for the first time.

Here are a couple of pictures from today.

Attachments

• IMG_1400.jpg
    IMG_1400.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_1402.jpg
    IMG_1402.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_1406.jpg
    IMG_1406.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Yesterday we started out by finishing up a few small details on the body, like mounting the gas pedal, making a couple of holes to run brake lines and more wiring through, and stuff like that. I also wanted to do an alignment on the frame and suspension while there was no body in the way, so we got out the tape measures and plumb bob, and got everything aligned. Surprisingly, it was not too far off, only the rear end needed shifted forward on one side a quarter of an inch.

Both of my sons were at the shop, and they said " Why don't we put the body on the frame for the final time ?"

I was leaving it on the body cart so the upholstery shop would have an easier time making up my seat, but then I realized it really didn't matter, so we got the whole thing ready and, with 3 people there, it made it a lot easier to get the body installed.

We padded everything with bath towels, took our time, and got the body lifted up high enough to clear everything, then we slowly started lowering it down. We had to keep feeding the electrical wires and fuel hose up into the body as it came down, but finally it was resting on the rubber pads we had put there, for the final time !!!!!!!!!!!!

It looks even better than I imagined, I have never seen it in paint, sitting on the frame. We all sat back in our pondering chairs, admiring all the hard work we put into this one, and I just kept saying "DANG!!!". (Except I wasn't saying dang !)

So, today Dan has to work, but Don is going to be at his shop next door, so I am going to go over and wrap up a few things from last night. The body still needs shifted over about a half inch in the front and bolted down permanently. I can now install some of the things like the steering, headers, radiator tie rods, and all of that kind of stuff...........but yesterday was a major step in finally getting this thing on the road.

Building the bed will be easy, compared to all the sanding and priming and painting on the body. We can get started on that part of it pretty soon.

Attachments

• DSC08343.jpg
    DSC08343.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 22
  • DSC08344.jpg
    DSC08344.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 20
  • DSC08346.jpg
    DSC08346.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 22
  • DSC08354.jpg
    DSC08354.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_1423.jpg
    IMG_1423.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_1421.jpg
    IMG_1421.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_1426.jpg
    IMG_1426.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Thanks, guys. I guess all the sanding and filling are like having a baby......the pain is only a memory after it is born. I am SO over not having to do any more body work on this thing. The bed should be a cinch after this (famous last words !)

Today I had FUN. I bolted chrome stuff on the body. Put the windshield on for just a mock up, also got the trans fill tube bolted to the firewall, put on the radiator steady rods that run to the firewall, and temporarily bolted on the headers that have been living under Dan's bed for the past few years since we built them and had them coated (twice).

I also mounted the two rear view mirrors and had to put one of my decals on the windshield. I also put on the red fuel lines to the carbs and will pick up some stainless hose clamps to finish them off. I know these plastic fuel lines are not the best, and, in fact, my son Don had some that failed on his T bucket, but I will keep an eye on them and change them often.

Don was a great help today, we got the body straightened out on the frame and bolted it down for the final time. I am going to leave the doors off, and the shifter and steering out until I get all the wiring under the dash done, it is tight under there and every inch of room to move helps a lot.

So, here are lots of pictures from today.

Attachments

• IMG_9563.jpg
    IMG_9563.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 26
  • DSC08359.jpg
    DSC08359.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_9554.jpg
    IMG_9554.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_9555.jpg
    IMG_9555.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_9556.jpg
    IMG_9556.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_9557.jpg
    IMG_9557.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_9558.jpg
    IMG_9558.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_9559.jpg
    IMG_9559.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_9560.jpg
    IMG_9560.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 26
I'll say it again. Looks great!

I have a question that has been bugging me for a long time. What is going on with the spot where the gas tank filler neck used to be? I can see something there, but I can't decipher it to save my life. Thanks in advance.

Thanks, Skip. Do you mean the hole on top of the cowl ? Right now it is just a hole. We are going to insert the original Ford fuel tank neck up through that hole and use panel adhesive to glue it in place. We kept some of the original tank top attached to the neck, which we ground into a smaller round shape, kinda like a flange, and we will epoxy glue that to the roof of the cowl.

I bought a chrome reproduction Model A fuel cap that I will screw on to dress it all up once the epoxy sets up. It will serve no other purpose than cosmetically and to fill up that hole.

I'll post a picture of the neck tomorrow to give you a better idea of what I have in mind.

Yep, here is a picture of what we are going to stick through that hole. It is actually the top of the old fuel tank that we cut out and made into a flange. We will put the panel adhesive all over it and prop it up through the hole until it cures. I bought a new cap for it, and that is all that will show.

I picked up the panel adhesive today, and it was $50 !!! The last time I bought it the price was about $32. But if you need it you need it.

Today is an off day, I had a dentist appointment this morning and think there is a nap in my immediate future.

Attachments

• DSC08362.jpg
    DSC08362.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 19

Latest posts

Back