Disc brakes with vintage wire wheels

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I'm looking to run wire wheels on my build my question is will the disc style brakes become a issue. What type of clearance is needed? I have t bought any yet just because I'd hate to by the only to find out disc brakes won't work.

If you're talking about early Ford wires, they don't work with disc brakes. They are constructed to seat onto the drum in a manner that adds strength and stability to the wheel. People will tell you there are adapters out there, but I personally would never put adapters on the front axle of a vehicle when running early Ford wires.

A well maintained and adjusted set of drums will be just as serviceable, especially on a light hot rod.

There are many options for new wire wheels that will work with disc brakes. Unfortunately a lot of them require tubes (whether or not the manufacturer will admit it). Check out wheel vintiques. You won't have much more invested compared to cleaning up a set of originals.

Latest posts

Back