1945 dodge pickup on 3/4ton 89 gmc

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

45ramrod

Any ideas?
I have the cab just about mounted in the correct spot, it's a short bed dodge and the gmc is about foot to long should I move the rear axle forward or cut the frame and reweld it?

I shortened my Ranger frame and rolled the back end forward 14", leaving the contours of the frame in the right place for the vertical movement of the rear-end. All of my hangers and shackles were in position, too. I believe shortening the frame is the easier way to go.

I don't think that axle travel will matter because the frame is flat it doesn't curve up like some chassis but before the front shackle mounts the frame curves down, I'll get better pictures when I get home.

Attachments

• DSC_0184.jpg
    DSC_0184.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 32
  • DSC_0187.jpg
    DSC_0187.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 32
We're would you cut out and weld the chassis the diagonal section or the Flat section in front of the diagonal section or in the middle?

Attachments

• DSC_0211.jpg
    DSC_0211.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 24
  • DSC_0212.jpg
    DSC_0212.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 15
What's the wheelbase on your Dodge? How much do you have to take out of the donor frame?
Ya might have to do it in a couple places to get it where you need it.

I made a short bed out of a long bed I took a cut in the center fish plated it and trimmed the rear to fit

I think what I'm going to end up doing is shortening the chassis right behind the cab it's flat and I think it's long enough but I'm not sure yet that'll raise the height of the cab to match the bed height, thx for all the suggestions!

hate to put a damper on this project, but have you measured the outside width of the new frame compared to the body width in the cowl area?

trucks from the 40's are quite a bit narrower than the modern frames, and end up with a front tread width that makes front tire turning headaches.

Yeah it will be fine since I'm not lowering it at all, in fact it will be a little bit taller, enuff to not have any steering problems, thx for the heads up I'll keep that in mind when I start working on the front end of things.

I should be cutting the Frame here shortly, I'll take lots of pics, still not sure we're yet, now that I have finished the floor, I am going to make the front cab mounts, then that will give me a final position for the cab and the chopping starts!!! :)

Finished cutting and rewelding the frame, and put plate metal fish scales on both sides of each side of the frame, I just cut straight down, 22inches apart, put a square tube on the inside of each frame rail and clamped it down to get it straight, welded it then ground it flat were I welded the Dimond plates and it looks super strong. Definitely a major accomplishment for me, it wasn't as hard as I thought it was going to be,, one pic shows penitration. And mocked up.

Attachments

• DSC_0387.jpg
    DSC_0387.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 24
  • DSC_0388.jpg
    DSC_0388.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 23
  • DSC_0389.jpg
    DSC_0389.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 23
  • DSC_0393.jpg
    DSC_0393.jpg