Closed to open drive on 37 Buick

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mutt's37Buick

I'm updating a 37 Buick Roadmaster using a 95 Buick Roadmaster LT1 engine, 4L60E transmission. Not a lot about hotrodding early Buicks on the web. Would like to use the rear axle from the 95 Buick as well. From what I have read, I can cut off the coil spring parts off the rear axle and weld on parts that will mate up to the original 37 leaf springs (56" long).
1) The original drive trail was a closed drive with torque tube. Do I need to change the leaf spring mounts at front and back? Front and back appear to pivot?
2) If so what leaf mount parts do I need.
3) Do I need to add any additional bars to control, or hold, the axle in place?
4) The engine has 260hp. Will I need to box the frame when I change the drive from closed to open?
Thanks

Lots of places make the saddles for the leaf springs, Summit and Speedway Motors both carry them. I would have to see a pic of both ends of your springs to see if you might need to change the mounting. The springs should locate the axle fore and aft as well as side to side, one ting to look at would be the alignment pin on the spring that the saddle mount fits on. You want to make sure the axle is centered in the fender, the alignment pin hole might need to be off center in the saddle to accomplish this. Again, it's one of those things we can't tell ya without a pic to look at.

As to boxing the frame, I doubt it will be necessary. Those old frames are pretty stiff on the big cars like your Buick and held the torque and weight of the straight 8, so the lighter LS should be a breeze for it. Now if you were going to put it on the strip, I'd say yes, box the heck out of it, but for the street, I think it's overkill on a full bodied car. Some will disagree with me on that, but my 47 Lincoln isn't boxed and holds the 350 Chevy just fine.[cl

I really like Chassis Engineering's universal leaf spring kit for just what you're doing.
http://www.chassisengineeringinc.com/1937-1939-chevrolet-car/

Those do look like nice kits, but I'm trying to keep the budget down.
Hoping to use the 37 original leaf springs and the height compensating air shocks from my 95 Roadmaster to keep ride height constant.
I will need spring mounts for the front of leafs. I'll need shock mounts to position the shocks behind the rear axle.
1) Has anyone else used OEM parts to do something similar with 30's GM leaf springs?
2) If so, then what car or cars had parts that will work?
Thanks

While I understand trying to keep the budget down, don't use the 37 leafs. They're 79 years old, probably sagged a bit, and likely a bit soft. The money you spend on the kit already mentioned will be well worth it in the long run, and will prevent you from spending the same or more to re-do it later.

Latest posts

Back