Need some help

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vht

I have a Mus II front suspension, Heidts, that was 60 inches, I needed 57in track width. I took 3 in out of the center. It has a power rack, I wanted manual, so I bought a shorter rack, manual, and was just going to move the mounting points. The manual seems to be to short. To use it I'd have to use extensions. I can't figure this out considering I took 3in out of it. The only other difference in the racks other than length is the PS one has a 15.5 center to center and the manual is 16 at the mounting points. I put the tie rod ends on the manual that came off the P rack. With it mocked up I only have about a 1/2 in of threads at the most going in the tie rod end. Any ideas?

Sounds to me... like you have a rack "narrowed" for overall track width, not a narrowed crossmember.

If your rack was narrowed to maintain MII geometry, 3'' should be cut from the middle, giving 13'' between mounting points and the tie rod length should remain constant, power or no power.

Just my opinion. I've been wrong before and I reserve the right to be wrong again...

How much shorter is the manual rack than the PS one?You only needed to be
1-1/2" shorter on each end to make up the difference in the cut.

I took 3 inches out of the center of the cross member. I just done some rough measuring and set the rotors with 1/8 in tow in. Stuck the rack up to the cross member with the tie rod ends screwed on and stuck in the spindles, set the steering shaft where it should be. Took it back off and only had roughly a 1/2 in of threads in the tie rod ends. I got to look at it again, didn't have much time. Monsoon season set in again, we had about 3 in of rain in about 30 minutes and water started running in the garage. Been real busy with side work also. I did lay the rack down by the power I took off and the power is longer. Soon as I get caught back up, I'll do some more cking. I do know I have 25 inches inside to inside on the rails.

There are tie rod ends with extra long threaded sections that provide more thread engagement.

I'm going to either fab 2 sleeves or use a couple grade 8 nuts, 9/16, 18, and screw them on the inner tie rod and then screw the tie rod end on and weld them together to give me some more threads to ease my mind. Got the brackets tacked on, think it's going to work out.

Attachments

• 20160604_124634.jpg
    20160604_124634.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 14
The rack was 4 in shorter than the p rack. With the 3 I took out, that left a in. The power rack had better than a in of threads in the tie rod end on both sides, so I thought I'd be fine, especially since I dropped the rack down some to keep the right angle on the inner tie rods. I ended up with a 1/2 in of threads holding the tie rod end. Lost something some where. It'll work out.Oldmanb, the fairmont ends are longer? 9/16x18? That would be great if they were. Thanks for the help.

Old man, we are going to find out, just ordered 2. Got a nice new T bird type rack, power, anybody got anything to trade?

The rack was 4 in shorter than the p rack. With the 3 I took out, that left a in. The power rack had better than a in of threads in the tie rod end on both sides, so I thought I'd be fine, especially since I dropped the rack down some to keep the right angle on the inner tie rods. I ended up with a 1/2 in of threads holding the tie rod end. Lost something some where. It'll work out.Oldmanb, the fairmont ends are longer? 9/16x18? That would be great if they were. Thanks for the help.

Yes they are longer ,can't remember just how much longer, but Horton Hotrods online catalog have the measurements. I went through this a few years back on my '31

Thanks for that info, I had tried to find specs on different ford ends and couldn't.

Latest posts

Back