How to "z" a frame?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

E$rnie Pintor III

Any thoughts on how to z a frame ? I have a 50 f1 that I did a while ago. Zed in in the front. Did it at a 45* angle. But as the cab dropped 6 inches it pulled the front forward 6 inches..... Later I did the back , but I made the z straight up so the tires stayed where they should be. The front was ok because I never wanted fenders up front. Now the tires are to far forward , they won't be centered in the wheel well. Now I am building another f1 and I already did the back. Now I need to do the front . I'd like to keep the fenders on this one. Any thoughts or pictures?

Z'd

Your Z doesn't have to be made of your frame material! Get some box material 1/4" thick or so and put it inside your stock rails and make your Z out of that. Get some plate as we'll to make gussets.

Hint; your gussets don't have be Z shaped.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 85
Depending on how much of a drop you need the easiest is to cut and shift the frame and gusset or box it back up.If you need more than that you need to cut it and move it up but not forward.

021_21.jpg

I think everybody has there own way of doing a "z" in the frame, and I'm no exception. As sneakysnake said it will depend on your circumstances, mainly how much of a Z is required.

I'm doing the rear on a Model A frame, but just a small 3 inch frame drop. I drew up a diagram to explain what I'm doing, your frame can be done similar with the necessary changes to get your drop without altering the length.

In the diagram I made the 'cuts' on a 45 degree angle, but in real life in my case, I'm guessing it will work out closer to 30. I'll be using cereal box cardboard to make up a template to take out any guess work.

So hopefully, my drawing makes sense and you can use the info. ( I was going to sign it "Rembrandt" but forgot until after I scanned it.:D

Attachments

• Frame Z-1.jpg
    Frame Z-1.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 132
Z

I've done the rear on 3 trucks. I like using a 2x6 and put it straight up and down 90* that way I know it won't move the tires. But this Time on the front I have the leaf springs right there. I know I can do it but its gonna be hard.

I am also wondering what to do with my frame....I have a 51 frame and I want to lower the cab and bring the front wheels ahead.

Can I taper the rails inward and shorten the crossmembers from stock ? A taper similiar to a custom frame ?

zoom.jpg This is not a good picture of my frame , I just have this stuck together to get an idea of the way I want it to set .. I will make another frame soon. but now I have some measurements to go by ..This is a piece of scrap channel I had at the shop I used

I just cut the frame and set my cab on 1 6x6 block then done the measuring . I allowed for an inch or 2 after I set the bed on and it worked out good .. I didnt want it to drag the ground any place. I set the engine in place for weight , then done the front too . But it has a s-10 sub welded into the frame so it will be different when I get the strait axle put on it,, but like I said , I never planed on using this frame , so I just cut it up with no fear , I'll use it for measurements now that the back is like I want it ,

07-07-12_193 - Copy.jpg you can see by the flashlight how low it is ,, Ive seen others a lot lower than this , but I have a clearance problem getting on my ramp so this will do good for me. The 6x6 is on the frame or 5&1/2X 5&1/2

Latest posts

Back