donor trcuk/car

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I have been shopping around on line for suspension parts...this inexpensive rat rod can quickly turn into a lot of money. I got the chassis guy down to 475 and I may go for it. Looks like getting rid of the leaf springs is an option but can I z that frame and box it.

If you open your checkbook to the addiction then, yes it is very expensive :eek:
The answer, to whether the frame can be Z'd or not is yes.

You can always find someone to help with the things you can't do, no matter where you live :cool:
All of us here are happy and willing to help with advice and direction [P

Yes, I cut off the leaf spring mounts and drilled through the axle at the center of the old mounts. Before drilling, I welded pieces of plate on both sides of the I beam so the drill wouldn't break through. Then regular Ford perch bolts can be used to mount a cross leaf spring, split 'bones or batwings and hairpins or 4 link.

Yes, I cut off the leaf spring mounts and drilled through the axle at the center of the old mounts. Before drilling, I welded pieces of plate on both sides of the I beam so the drill wouldn't break through. Then regular Ford perch bolts can be used to mount a cross leaf spring, split 'bones or batwings and hairpins or 4

Perfect tks

Here's another 41 Chev PU axle I have prepped for air springs and split wishbone trailing arm mounts. You can see where I welded material on where it will be drilled for the perch bolts (only pilot holes in there so far...) Similar mods can be done to any dual leaf spring mounted solid axle.

Attachments

• new project 2013 005.jpg
    new project 2013 005.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 40
  • new project 2013 008.jpg
    new project 2013 008.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 36
  • new project 2013 009.jpg
    new project 2013 009.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 40
Here's another 41 Chev PU axle I have prepped for air springs and split wishbone trailing arm mounts. You can see where I welded material on where it will be drilled for the perch bolts (only pilot holes in there so far...) Similar mods can be done to any dual leaf spring mounted solid axle.

this is great...I think I am going to try this. Thanks

air bags

Yes, I cut off the leaf spring mounts and drilled through the axle at the center of the old mounts. Before drilling, I welded pieces of plate on both sides of the I beam so the drill wouldn't break through. Then regular Ford perch bolts can be used to mount a cross leaf spring, split 'bones or batwings and hairpins or 4 link.

Hi...what is the diameter of the bags you normally use? I was hoping to hide them up underneath the stock crossmember up front. I narrowed the rails so I split the member and welded it back together. Not sure if I have enough room for bags....not quite 6 " diameter

Latest posts

Back