40 chev front susp

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vht

Ok, I bought this 40 chev coupe, it's got a nova front clip with it. I am pretty sure that nova and camaro are to wide. I have a 99 S10 ext cab I'm parting out, how much narrower are they? I know they kinda crowd things up a little, I've put sbc's in them before. But on the cheap wouldn't this be the best way to go. I can cut the cross member out and trim up some stuff to make some more room. I'm going to run 15x4 wheels, but don't want them sticking out there looking odd.

67 to 69 Camaro, 68 to 74 Nova is not too wide.
If it is a rear steer front clip it'll be fine. If it's a front steer clip then, yes it'll be too wide.
The S10 front is 57.2" and will work with 1" spacers on each side.
The S10 steering box creates a little interference in the radiator core support area but, can be worked with.

I have a manual S10 box I'm going to use also, I was hoping front steer, the earlier camaros and novas are scarce around here.

My uncle has a '40 Chevy coupe that he stubbed with a nova. I'll try and ask him what year he used and if he could send some pics if he can figure out how.

This is his car. He does drag weeks with it.

Attachments

• IMG_0744.jpg
    IMG_0744.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_2874.jpg
    IMG_2874.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 16
VHT.... congrats on the project....
back in the day........ did a few 48 chevys with nova,camaro subs
before s-10's or metric subs were available both front and rear steer.
I used 6 in corvette rally's and they still had that awkward look,.
if you are set on doing this, I would consider the s-10 or the metric
( 80's monte's malibu's etc.) also consider cost to rebuild these parts
to new condition and the work involved .... maybe mustang II kits
would be a better alternative. If you're like me money's tight but
I feel you would be happier with the latter option.....
just my 2 pennies.....good luck with whatever you decide.....
we'll be watching:D:D

You don't need spacers if you have the right wheels. However the S-10 is probably too narrow for the 15x4's. The Nova might be better if that's your plan.

http://www.crankshaftcoalition.com/...ements#Wheelbase.2C_front_track.2C_rear_track

Check that link... The S-10 is roughly 5" narrower than the Nova.
It won't be too narrow if he uses the wheels he said that he was and uses the 1" spacers. That makes it 59.2" track width and the early Camaro and Nova is 60.5"

The frame is out from under it. It has a 78 nova on it now. When I pick it up and get the body and frame in the same place I'll do some measuring. I also have a 99 S10 with the front end in really good shape. Thanks

I found a chevy site that had these specs, WB 113, track width frt 57.6, rear 59, WT 3049. My 2000 explorer rearend that has been narrowed 3in on the long side, will be perfect,

The frame is out from under it. It has a 78 nova on it now. When I pick it up and get the body and frame in the same place I'll do some measuring. I also have a 99 S10 with the front end in really good shape. Thanks

I know first hand that the 78 Nova is too wide because, I put a 77 Nova in my 40 Pontiac and didn't like it.
I rolled the fenders out a little to help the look and for clearance.

attachment.php

Attachments

• North End of the barn3.jpg
    North End of the barn3.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
Need to do some research on some fords, my 8.8 still has the 4 1/2 in bolt pattern. If some extra money would happed to fall from the sky, I'd go with Mus II and tubular control arms.

Need to do some research on some fords, my 8.8 still has the 4 1/2 in bolt pattern. If some extra money would happed to fall from the sky, I'd go with Mus II and tubular control arms.

Most aftermarket Mustang II setups have a sliding T-bolt style adjustment on the upper a-arms, and with the potholes and frost heaves we have here they tend to come loose in some cases. I like the GM suspension better, that's one of the big reasons.

Old Iron - I know you were saying it's just a bit too wide but I really like the tires out to near the edge of the fenders. It really bugs me when they are way to far in. Yours looks perfect.

Most aftermarket Mustang II setups have a sliding T-bolt style adjustment on the upper a-arms, and with the potholes and frost heaves we have here they tend to come loose in some cases. I like the GM suspension better, that's one of the big reasons.

The way around that is to put the upper bolts horizontal instead of vertical. You put a angle bracket on top of the spring hat, and the bolts then adjust in and out with jamb nuts on both sides of the bracket instead of sliding in the slots.

IIRC, the 68-72 Nova is narrower that the 73-78 version. Same with the Camaro, 67-69 is narrower than 70.5 -81. A friend of mine has a 40 Chevy coupe with a 69 Nova clip, it fits perfectly, tires are just right in the fenders.

Old Iron - I know you were saying it's just a bit too wide but I really like the tires out to near the edge of the fenders. It really bugs me when they are way to far in. Yours looks perfect.
Thanks, it took a lot of work to get them to clear the fenders when you turn a corner.

The way around that is to put the upper bolts horizontal instead of vertical. You put a angle bracket on top of the spring hat, and the bolts then adjust in and out with jamb nuts on both sides of the bracket instead of sliding in the slots.

IIRC, the 68-72 Nova is narrower that the 73-78 version. Same with the Camaro, 67-69 is narrower than 70.5 -81. A friend of mine has a 40 Chevy coupe with a 69 Nova clip, it fits perfectly, tires are just right in the fenders.

Bama, it's true you can do that, I just don't see why I would buy a MII and then modify it to behave like a GM when I can install a GM.

Bama, it's true you can do that, I just don't see why I would buy a MII and then modify it to behave like a GM when I can install a GM.

I saw that idea in a Rod and Custom years ago, but have never seen anybody actually use it. Lots of people buy new stuff and modify it to fit their needs or wants, so I guess it's up to ones personal desires. Since you can buy tubular arms and such for the GM suspension now, it might be an easier choice. Back when I read that tip, MII was pretty new on the scene as swaps go.

I keep on and I'm gonna show my age.....:eek::D

All the S10 guys use the Speedway upper tubular control arms and longer Afco upper ball joints. Gives them more travel and they go with the 8.5 control arm on both sides to help alignment. They are cheap and I think they fit several GM.

Latest posts

Back