Drivetrain install

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Az33

Hope this is the right place for this...

I'm building a '33 Chevy Rat Rod truck. I have shortened and Z'd the frame. I think I'm ready to install the motor and trans. It is a SBC 350 with a WC T5. Here are my questions:

Should I (or does it matter if I) set up the suspension first?
From what I understand I just need to level the frame before I install the motor, so is it necessary to have the suspension in before I mock up the motor and transmission mounts? It will be bagged and I will be adding a bump in the rear portion of the frame to adjust the height for clearance. I should be OK, but can modify the front for clearance as well. Planning on 6" ride height and hopefully laying frame when bags deflated.

How much clearance do I need from firewall?
Average rule of thumb seems to be an inch or so. Am I just clearancing the distributor?

I am planning on setting carb mounting area at 0* and centering front of motor and rear of trans between the rails. Height will be determined by oil pan clearing frame rails. Anything else I'm missing? This is my first build and I'm afraid or screwing this up and having to restart.

Attaching images to give you an idea. Cab will be removed and obviously motor is not leveled or centered yet.

Thanks for your input...

Attachments

• IMG_0413.JPG
    IMG_0413.JPG
    135.6 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_0414.JPG
    IMG_0414.JPG
    138.7 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_0415.JPG
    IMG_0415.JPG
    76.7 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_0416.JPG
    IMG_0416.JPG
    83.9 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
Looks like you are on the right track. Dist space isn't critical but room to work around it is good. Mocking up, stacking stuff together, determining how much space the susp needs to function, getting a feel for the overall proportions is where you are now. Don't rush this part. Pull up a "pondering" chair and let the ideas float to the top. How come you haven't stopped by AZ, you know where i live? :D

The suspension can be setup afterwards.
The engine should be in the 3 degree range down in the back. The best place to set this is off the oil pan rails. The intake is not a good place to check this.
The oil pan should not be any lower than the lowest part of the frame bottom.
I set the back of the dizzy 1" away from the firewall on everything I do.

Looks like you are on the right track. Dist space isn't critical but room to work around it is good. Mocking up, stacking stuff together, determining how much space the susp needs to function, getting a feel for the overall proportions is where you are now. Don't rush this part. Pull up a "pondering" chair and let the ideas float to the top. How come you haven't stopped by AZ, you know where i live? :D

I've threatened to stop by a few times, but always felt a little awkward. Just had knee surgery a couple weeks ago, I'll come say hi after I'm getting around a little better. Thanks for the invite.

Problem is my pondering chair is too close to my beer fridge!

The suspension can be setup afterwards.
The engine should be in the 3 degree range down in the back. The best place to set this is off the oil pan rails. The intake is not a good place to check this.
The oil pan should not be any lower than the lowest part of the frame bottom.
I set the back of the dizzy 1" away from the firewall on everything I do.

Sounds good, thanks

Latest posts

Back