Hydro boost need a prop valve?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmlcolorado

I had originally planned on going non power brakes/steering, but have changed my mind.
I'll be using hydroboost off a c3500.
I have a proportioning valve currently installed in order to balance front/rear.
Can I still use the prop valve?

Also, I'm keeping the factory drums from the 68 c10 in the rear and have disks from a 73+ c10 up front. I'm assuming a mix-n-match of parts will yield a not-so-factory feel. I'm hoping the hydroboost will kick up braking power a bit, but will it be too sensitive in your opinion?

I ran a proportioning valve on the Hydroboost on my Chevelle & loved it. The HB will definitely make a big diff, you have power steering... right?!

BoB

I ran a proportioning valve on the Hydroboost on my Chevelle & loved it. The HB will definitely make a big diff, you have power steering... right?!

BoB

Yeah. The pump only has the high pressure line and return line. Factory pump of the 4bt. Swapped out the manual gear box to power box from '73+ c10. From what I gather, I can just tee the return lines together.

Each of my DD cummins have been hydroboost, so I'm not sure I'd know the difference :rolleyes: but I'd rather have enough brake, vs not enough.

My motor barely had any vacuum so also barely any brakes. Had a couple close calls in traffic so went with the HydroBoost & loved it... I think you will too! If you need help I'd call HB tech!

BoB

As far as I know, the only thing a prop valve does is regulate flow to the rear circuit. You should still have a nice way to balance the braking power with one in place.

I went to the scrap yard and went scrounging. Found a 95 astrovan I think I'll be going back tomorrow to snag the hydroboost off of.
I did notice it has a prop valve right off the MC before the lines go into the rats nest of ABS controller. So yeah, I'll keep the prop valve.
The van also had a pedal assembally I like better than the one I have now. So I'll snag that too.

Hers the power steering pump I'll be using. Came with the 4bt. It actually looks to me like I has two return lines and one high pressure line.
This engine came out of a break truck so I'm not sure how it was setup but since it was diesel, one can only assume it had hydroboost.

Only other thing I could think the top bung (where there is no hose attached to) is for remote Reservoir.
Either way, I'll be using it for return. The Astro van hydroboost has the reservoir remotely mounted off the hydroboost. Custom hoses will be in order.

Jml, here's my power brake opinion. If you have disc brakes on your vehicle then you really want a power booster of some sort. If you have to make only one surprise stop without the booster, you will go straight to a brake shop and buy a booster. Disc brakes don't have to be pushed very far but they have to be pushed really hard.
I have driven two hotrods now, a '55 Merc pickup and a '36 Ford with the boosters not working, so I replaced the power boosters in them and suddenly I'm 10 years younger, and grinning. You will be too,---------well grinning anyhow.

Latest posts

Back