suicide suspension

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doghousedevil

i want to mount my front leaf spring behind the axle using split wishbones. i need advice on the subject because i don't have a clue where to start. i would like the springs shackles to mount below the wishbones so my car will be in the dirt. i have a set of split wishbones, a 37 ford axle and springs, and my front cross member is a 3" pipe. pictures would help as well.
thanks,
doghousedevil

Here you go DHD, this setup that I have on mine will get you INDADIRT!! :D:D

Don

Attachments

• more progress on t 004.jpg
    more progress on t 004.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 165
  • t front wishbone.jpg
    t front wishbone.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 181
  • tinstallpaintedfrontendparts011.jpg
    tinstallpaintedfrontendparts011.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 243
  • tafterfirstlongdrive005.jpg
    tafterfirstlongdrive005.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 175
Here's how I did mine. I copied Donsrod's set up. It has a Superbell 4" drop axle and leaf spring. Model A bones with the gusset welded underneath with the spring hanger bolted to them.

DSC_0006-1.jpg

DSC_0003-2.jpg

DSC_0002-2.jpg

DSC_0001-2.jpg

It was really low. I changed back to hairpins to raise it up. This set up would work better with a stock non-dropped axle.

Aw come on, don't you want it LOOOOOOOOOOOOOW??? :D:D:D:D

Surprisingly, mine never bottoms out anywhere.

Don

Attachments

• dan and I at Billetproof.jpg
    dan and I at Billetproof.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 97
thanks

thanks guys, that's exactly what i needed. should i use spring pivots like the ones available from speedway? the leaf spring i have is 2 inches wide and it says the pivots are for 1-3/4" springs. will this work or would it be better to spend the money on a reverse eye spring? i'm trying to use what i got.
thanks,
doghousedevil

Are you sure your spring is 2 inches wide? Most front springs are 1 3/4 wide. I don't have a reverse eye spring on my T, it would be too low with one. Yes, you can use Speedways perches and shackle kit, that is what I have.

Don

yes don, my spring is 2" wide at the center, however i remesured and it is 1-3/4" where the shackles mount. it's almost 39" from hole to hole. i guess i assumed it was a 37 front spring. now i'm curious what it is from. i appreciate all the info. i really like the way yours is set up and i think that's what i'm going to try.
thanks,
chris

That's a pretty wide spring (long) most are in the neighborhood of 26-29 inches. Does it fit between the bones being that long?

Chris, post up some pictures of what you have, that would help.

Don

pics of goods

this is what i got. if i can't use it that's fine too. i got 2 axles, spindles, spring, and split wishbones for $30 and a heater core, but it would be nice to make it work. my axle(judging by pics online) is a 37 ford axle. this is the only pic i have right now. hope they help. i don't know if you will be able to tell anything. my axle is 42" perch hole to perch hole. and i remesured (again) and the spring is 2" in the center but tapers at the eye to 1-3/4".
thanks again,
chris

Attachments

• 1frontend.jpg
    1frontend.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 122
  • 1split.jpg
    1split.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 112
Measure the length of your spring. For this type of set up you want a 31" spring to use with your '37 axle.

Ron

You did good on your purchase, but you have to lose that spring. It is way too heavy for what you want to do and way too long. What is complicating things a little is that the perch holes on that axle are so far outboard, but that can be overcome. Mock up your frontend to your frame, minus the spring, then figure out what you have to do to get a shorter spring to fit across in the spot where you want the spring to lay.

By building your perches and then adding shackles you will come up with a spring length that is perfect to span that distance. Be sure to get the spring shorter than that distance by about 4 inches so that when the weight is on it you end up with a 45 degree angle on the shackles. Look at the picture below to see what I mean about that angle.

Don

Attachments

• t front wishbone.jpg
    t front wishbone.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 118
don, so what you're saying is i may have to move the perches further back, away from the axle to get a spring to reach the wishbones? i think i understand my problem. the perch centers are further apart than other axles.
thanks,
chris

Yep, the later Ford axles have the perch holes farther apart than the early ones. The axles also got wider by a few inches. That is why your spring is also wider.

It just takes a little more figuring to get them to work though,and the wider tread is nice for better handling so that is a plus.

Don

The problem you are going to run into is your turning radius with the axles you have ( '41 - '48 ). Your tires are going to rub on the bones. You need to look for a '37 - '40 axle. The bones you have are Model A's With a 2-1/4" clevis. They will work on the '37 type axle too. If you find a '32 - '36 axle, that will work too but you will need to add a 1/4" spacer to the clevis as the axle is only 2" at that spot.

That spring is wrong for what you have in mind. Look for a Model A spring.

Ron

Here's a '37 front end with an A front spring set up for a t bucket. It has been used countless times over the years. I just drilled holes through the bones and used a pair of stock A spring perches. A word of advice, don't finish weld the perches 'til you have the car at your final ride hieght.

Attachments

• First '27 '75 (Small) (7).jpg
    First '27 '75 (Small) (7).jpg
    32 KB · Views: 139
much appreciation people. i think i have a good idea of what i'm going to try.
i'll post some pics soon and you can let me know what you think. and i've already welded too far before and you're right those are a hard two steps back.
thanks again,
chris

Latest posts

Back