disc brakes

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockb1

Built For Speed!
On the frame that I am getting there is a 36 ford front axle. I am wanting to run discs up front. I know speedway sells a conversion kit, but is there anything cheaper. Is there a swap I can do from junkyard parts? Has anyone done it before?

anythings possible, there a place here called motion industry,, they sell bearings,, i thought about doin gthe same thing but after many hours of reseach,,its cheaper to use speedway,, they are the cheaper i have found! bRTD

I'm not sure what is involved on a 36 conversion, but with my 63 truck axle conversion I went with a kit from ECI. Basically it was 2 plate steel brackets for mounting GM calipers to my Ford spindles, and a parts list for correct rotors, bearings, etc.

I think it's MP Brakes has kits, and there are a couple others.

ECI had the choice of a basic kit (what I bought) which has the brackets/bolts/parts list for like 150$ (you pick and pull the rest), or the full kit with rotors and all for like 450$. I did my swap for under 250$.

The braket's mostly a 1/2 plate cut and drilled to mount the calipers, but I don't trust my fabricating skills to brakes - again, instinctive self preservation kicks in.

Drums?

So since Im on a real budget Im thinking of running drums and changing them out later. Is this a wise choice? Any ideas of the bolt pattern on these old drums? Is this something I can run a power brake setup on? Lastly anybody have the parts laying around?

Now what???

So I now know that the 36 was mechanical, or at least thats what I have found. Now, how easy would it be to change to a later year to run juice? I have a set of 51 spindles can I use them?

As far as ford and Chevy go is there a major difference between the two drum setups? I am just wondering, I have a guy who has a set for a 39 Chevy and he doesnt know if they will work on a Ford axle?? Has it been done?

Yes lots of things are possible, but here is the easiest and simplest route you can go. It won't be "cheap" unless you stumble across a rare deal, but brakes and suspension components are not a place to skimp on the dough anyways. The '36 spindles are weak, and they do not work at all with a disc setup. They do make an adapter to run hydraulic backing plates on them, but I don't trust it. I personally would never run them.

Whether you want to run drums or discs you will need a set of '37-'48 spindles. '37-'41 are the "roundback" style which are more desirable and therefore more expensive. The '42-'48 are "squareback" and while less attractive, they are interchangeable and work just as well - also more affordable. Either one will work on your '36 axle, and when you install them you should always replace the kingpins and bushings as well.

As far as actual brakes go, while the disc kit may seem pricey it is probably your best option as a beginner. It is all new, easy to install and maintain and provides better braking. It comes with instructions and when someone is in your shoes that means a lot. Don't take offense, but you are obviously very green and early Ford brake systems while simple, require a lot of maintenance and some getting used to.

That being said, if you do want to run a early Ford hydraulic drum setup you will need '39-'48 backing plates, hubs and drums. Also not cheap - even after you buy these pieces for X amount of dollars you will still have a couple hundred bucks in new wheel cylinders, shoes, hardware and hoses. Those old drums get expensive fast! All necessary expenses, so as you see either way you go it will not be "cheap".

Personally I prefer the look of drums and I enjoy fussing with them. Some people don't and that is fine, because I would rather them be safe on the road rather than hurt themselves or someone else with something they are either unfamiliar with or a cobbled together mess...

Hey thanks Blue, I am familiar with new hydraulic disc brake systems and this is all new to me. So I know I have a lot of questions. I appreciate the advise, and I now know what to start looking for. I just see the disc kits for $700 I guess im not looking to spend that much. I do however want to stop once I am going. I did get the chance to replace the wheel cylinders on my 56 Buick which opened up a whole new world for me. So ya thanks a ton! Now I know what parts I need to start looking for.

And keep in mind the one infallible rule of hotrods: Any combination of early Ford stuff fits right together - except for the exact pile of parts you happen to own...

Save your money and get good brakes! That's one area you don't want to skimp on. Remember, just how much is your life worth???

Ya, I guess I just got a little sticker shock when I saw the price of $700. I guess everything I have picked up so far has been cheap or free. This is my first real build so I am very Green, But I do appreciate all of the help.

Other than Speedway are there other companies that offer brake kits?

Last edited:
Sounds like you'll have to have the later spindles. This is ECI's 37-48 kit (no spindles). http://ecihotrodbrakes.com/early_ford_discbrake_conversions.html The only reason I bring it up again, is because you can get the basic kit cheaper and scrounge for your calipers rotors and stuff form the junk yard. Not sure how much you save in the end that way over the Speedway or other full kits.

My biggest problem was finding the correct brake hose that had the right fittings and length.

Google 'disk brake kit' and you'll find several websites that sell kits.

I'm with DMW56 - don't go half arse on brakes or steering. Your life depends on em'!

Complete brake kit 11" pre 78 GM, early Ford Spindle, Ford bolt pattern $230
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Speed...rly-Ford-Spindles-Ford-Bolt-Pattern,2004.html

Same with Chevy Bolt Pattern $230
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Speed...ly-Ford-Spindles-Chevy-Bolt-Pattern,2005.html

These kits have gone up they were $200 a month ago.

37-48 Ford Spindles $200
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/1928-1948-FORD-SPINDLES-ONLY,3303.html

You could get the spindles, a basic disk brake kit and the spindle adaptor, search salvage yards for usable rotors, calipers, bearings, etc or the local auto supply. With the used rotors and calpers they will need to be surfaced and rebuilt. But why waste your time unless you enjoy the hunt which some people do. In the long run it will cost you more time and money.

And this is what they look like.

003-16.jpg

007-13.jpg

009-12.jpg

Latest posts

Back