Gasser front end problems!? Any suggestions appreciated!!!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tripper

Older and more rusted every day!
I'm havin' a problem with the gasser front end on my panel truck. When I hit a bump or hole with the passenger side front wheel it starts shakin' like the devil. Felt like it was wobblin' from side to side so I put on a panhard bar... still does it. Think it has about 5 degrees of caster but tonight I noticed the tires weren't balanced... at least there's no lead anywhere to be found. It does this around 25-35 mph so I'm pretty afraid to drive in on the freeway although I have! When it starts shakin I have to come to a near complete stop to make it stop... which is really scary with these fool drivers here in H-town!!! Any ideas?!?!?

BoB

Put a little more caster in it. I like to run between 7 and 10 degrees. Balance your wheels and check the air in your tires. Make sure they are aired up pretty close to max pressure. (sounds silly but it has cured more than a few front end issues) If that doesn't work try adding a steering dampener. It will make a big difference...

I agree with BED, but also check right front rim for trueness and see if there are any cracks between the center of the wheel and the rim and of course check to see that ever thing is tight - wheel bearings,hairpins,shocks,spring shackels ect.

swap

trip, swap the tires side to side and see if it changes anything (its free diag) then check the king pins too. i do work for workhorse chassis. and even the slightest movement in the pins will amplify greatly. let us know what ya find. ,george

Thanks guys!

Thanks guys... I'll try all this! Truck runs really good now & it's a shame not to be able to drive it anywhere!

BoB

I was going to suggest you try putting a fat (or Phat) girl or two in the passenger seat. But maybe these guys have better ideas. If their ideas don't do it......

Humble opinion - but a dampener is only going to mask the true problem. Either something isn't tight or it's out of wack. Is the tread getting funky on either tire? I'm wondering about caster and toe.

Humble opinion - but a dampener is only going to mask the true problem. Either something isn't tight or it's out of wack. Is the tread getting funky on either tire? I'm wondering about caster and toe.

Yeah... it's all new stuff but I don't have enough miles on it to have any tread wear. I'm gonna try to increase camber, different shocks & balance tires B4 I resort to a dampener.... but if that's what iot takes...

BoB

I was going to suggest you try putting a fat (or Phat) girl or two in the passenger seat. But maybe these guys have better ideas. If their ideas don't do it......

Actually, put a couple fat girls behind the rear wheels to lower the back end and change your caster. :D

Yeah... it's all new stuff but I don't have enough miles on it to have any tread wear. I'm gonna try to increase camber, different shocks & balance tires B4 I resort to a dampener.... but if that's what iot takes...

BoB

All good. I would also suggest making sure that the hubs are tightened to spec.

Death Wobble

I am experiencing same Death Wobble problem... Just got roadster on road, new 4 inch dropped i beam axle, new spindles, new king pins, new dropped steering arms, new tie rod ends, new spring, new brakes (used wilwood discs), new tires (bias ply) and wheels, new steering gear, old shocks, no stabalizer... Steering is very tight, straight, no wander... Twice I have hit a bump, where there is a drop, and I thought the wheels were going to come off, they would wobble from side to side... If I slowed or stopped, it went away... Everything is tight... I am afraid what would happen if it does it at high speed...

Last edited:
I think it's the toe adj too, probably needs more toe-in.

My buddy hit a ditch in his car back in high school, threw the alignment way off - to the point where you could see the front wheels had noticeable toe-out. If you hit a bump the car would start rapidly swerving from side to side to the point where it was uncontrollable. This is extreme example, but sounds sounds like what you guys are talking about.

Tripper,So what was the fix??

I am experiencing same Death Wobble problem... Just got roadster on road, new 4 inch dropped i beam axle, new spindles, new king pins, new dropped steering arms, new tie rod ends, new spring, new brakes (used wilwood discs), new tires (bias ply) and wheels, new steering gear, old shocks, no stabalizer... Steering is very tight, straight, no wander... Twice I have hit a bump, where there is a drop, and I thought the wheels were going to come off, they would wobble from side to side... If I slowed or stopped, it went away... Everything is tight... I am afraid what would happen if it does it at high speed...

Yep... I have the same thing. Pretty scary... especially stopping real quick with Houston's moronic drivers. I ordered a 4 degree shim for the front axle & am gonna try wider wheels & go from there.

BoB

Latest posts

Back