64 Comet 6 cyl to 5.0 power steering problem

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pacrat1

I have a 1964 6 cylinder Comet, no power steering. I bought a 1984? Ford 5.0, with power steering. I was going to remove the power steering from the 5.0, but you need something adjustable. In other words, belt goes around crank and fan. needs power steering pump to tighten belt. I thought about adding power steering, but everyone says something different about what will interchange.

Ford used a "power assist" style power steering back then. It used a hydraulic ram mounted to the tie rod, with a control valve on the end of it. It worked good when new, but as it aged, it was more known for leaking fluid. You can get most of the parts from a Mustang supply and adapt them. Borgenson makes a replacement power steering box for early Mustangs that you might swap in, but they are pretty expensive. I don't know if you have room for a GM Saginaw style box, they are a popular choice on older vehicles.

You could just run the pump, connecting both lines together I think. It will burn the pump up if you run it dry, so the lines would have to be connected, and you might even need a reducer to slow the flow.

Only other thing I can tell you is to find a set of single groove V belt pulleys and let the alternator be the adjustment point. You would need the get the set off of the same engine, Ford used dozens of different pulleys with different offsets, as well as the pre 1985 crank pulleys being 3 bolt, and the post 1985 being 4 bolts.

Thank you for your information. Crank has 4 bolts, so I guess it's not a 1984.
I saw a bracket setup on eBay that looks like it will recess the alternator to line up with the the crank and water pump pulleys. From what I have been able to find out, running a tired 5.0 in a 6 cylinder car shouldn't be a problem for the steering box, because they all use the same box. I didn't want to spend more than I paid for the car, for one small problem.

I built a Maverick a few years ago that was originally a 6 cyl, power steering car. I used the 5.0 out of a 85 TBird. I changed the steering to manual with the stuff from a manual car. I had 205-60-15" tires on the front, it steered good except at slow speeds, then it was a bit tough to turn.

My engine had a hybrid belt system, Ac , water pump, and PS were on a serpentine belt, Alt was on a V belt. I had to change front timing cover and the water pump to a standard rotation, then I had to find a Alt bracket because the reverse rotation one no longer fit. I ended up using a 200 I6 water pump pulley with 1/8" shims to line everything up. Fords can be nerve racking to find compatible parts!

I'm currently putting a 5.0 in a 47 Lincoln coupe. I'm keeping the serpentine system on it, only eliminating the AIR pump. My problem was the engine mounts interfered with the Saginaw power steering box and the exhaust. I had to build a custom cross member for the mounts, and going to use Explorer manifolds to clear the steering. If I could only get some time to finish it up!

I was trying to identify the year of the 5.0. There is a half inch of grime, and the only block number I could find, was a casting number, and I could not read. The carb and distributor tags both indicate 1984. I'm going to install an Edelbrock intake, to eliminate most of that air pump krap, install the for mentioned flat bracket for the alternator (even if I didn't have to, can't stand the stock alternator bracket, the air pump mounts on top of it looks like antlers) . I have a pair of Granada spindles to install. Have to install dual master cylinder. I picked up a 9 in. rear end from a 58 Ford. The width should work. I was told that the gears are something like 2 to 1. I have a 3 to 1 pig, that should work. The plan now, is to keep the manual steering.

I appreciate the input to get me headed in the right direction.

Latest posts

Back