Bug to Butterfly

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
While shopping for disc brake spindles and brakes for my Model A axle I found and I bought one of these too. I received four boxes with no packing list. Eventually I figured out that some parts were missing. After some back and forth with them I was told the fifth box was on back order and would be here on the 9th. I'm missing the steering U-joint, steering box mounting bracket, steering arms, and kingpins. Later they said they didn't have a firm date when they would have my parts and since they needed to close the Ebay resolution case offered a partial refund. After some negotiation they refunded $140.

I bought the kingpins for $40 from Speedway and since I plan to use cowl steering I will need to make the steering arms and I don't need the rest.

BTW, I was reluctant to use the Chinese bearings that came with it but the bearing numbers directly cross over to National or Timken. I bought Timken Set 2 and Set 17.

I'm really happy with what I have and really really happy with the final cost. Hope your experience goes as well.

Definitely hoping I don't have that same experience ... especially since I have it shipped to the border and then drive down to pick it up. Really be a major pain to have to run back and forth. If I have problems I hope I can get advise from you on how to deal with them. Thanks for the heads up .. I'll be checking it carefully when I pick it up now.

Helix and Johnny law are both Hoffman group names, no way I would trust anything they sell in a safety situation, and a axle is for sure a safety item. Google Hoffman Group, threads everywhere on their dangerous junk. Big thread on the HAMB. They might be fine for dress up stuff, but I wouldn't trust my life on any of their Chinese junk.....

When you have to call them just ask for Ben, he will help you out. go ahead and ask me how I know to deal with Ben, he was the only one there that I could find that would help.

Just came across this picture today ... to cool for words. :) But I'm pretty sure that "she who must not be named" would never let me get away with it.

Attachments

• 16114075_1529851767032644_8357819578872533004_n.jpg
    16114075_1529851767032644_8357819578872533004_n.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 57
These are kind of what I had in mind originally. Push the body back a little bit, shorten the bed a little bit and there it is. Maybe delete the hood and put a tractor grill on it. Glad I'm going to take some time to decide before I take out the sawsall. :) It's like a Chinese menu .. so many good ideas! Thanks for the input.

I vote that style too!

You needed another project like I did, but I can't wait to see it transform!

How's the new job?

I vote that style too!

You needed another project like I did, but I can't wait to see it transform!

How's the new job?

You're right about another project .. just can't help myself though. And there will be more ideas after this one is done to.

Unfortunately the "new" job ended ... the boss decided it was better for him to let me go than to give me sick leave to get my knee fixed. (We pause this program for a 10 second burst of profanity!) And this after he encouraged me to have the operation sooner rather than later .. like before I got on the company benefit plan .. because things would be slow in the shop. Waited until 3:30 the day before I went for the operation. So, although I'm rather angry about how I was treated I'm coming to the conclusion its all for the best. Don't want to work for a SOB like that anyway.

And how are things going on your planet? :) Hope all is well.

You're right about another project .. just can't help myself though. And there will be more ideas after this one is done to.

Unfortunately the "new" job ended ... the boss decided it was better for him to let me go than to give me sick leave to get my knee fixed. (We pause this program for a 10 second burst of profanity!) And this after he encouraged me to have the operation sooner rather than later .. like before I got on the company benefit plan .. because things would be slow in the shop. Waited until 3:30 the day before I went for the operation. So, although I'm rather angry about how I was treated I'm coming to the conclusion its all for the best. Don't want to work for a SOB like that anyway.

Good attitude, SC.
icon14.gif
His loss, as they say. Get well.

F that guy SC! Better you learn the color of his character now rather than down the road after you have invested your time and talents in his business...Good luck with the knee

Picked up some real cool "old school" goodies yesterday. When was the last time you saw a setup like this? New in the box Pete Jackson front distributor drive for SBC and a new, never used Mallory SuperMag.

The distributor drive will solve the carb / distributor clearance issue I was facing with the Holley carbs on the Offenhauser 360 intake manifold.

Attachments

• IMG_0970.jpg
    IMG_0970.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 46
Some time back, I had to ask (here) about the front-drive ignition setup and I believe bob w enlightened me. (Thanks, bob!)

I still smell a race car... disguise it as you might. :D

I'm sorry to hear the boss was a jerk about it, but I'm sure it will be better in the long run!

Things are going well. Still searching for permanent employment, but I've been doing some temporary stuff that's been keeping me busy. I wish I had the finances to get going on my roadster right now, I could have a lot done on it if I had the money for some parts :).

Did you sell the old house? Liking the acreage?

Picked up some real cool "old school" goodies yesterday. When was the last time you saw a setup like this? New in the box Pete Jackson front distributor drive for SBC and a new, never used Mallory SuperMag.

The distributor drive will solve the carb / distributor clearance issue I was facing with the Holley carbs on the Offenhauser 360 intake manifold.

Awesome score!

Did you sell the old house? Liking the acreage?

No, still have the house but have just today hired a different agent and are putting it back on the market. Hoping this time will work :)

The new house is great .. really enjoy eating the grape jam, apple sauce and strawberry preserves that my wife made from fruit grown in our yard :D On the other hand, moving snow from this large a driveway grows old pretty quickly. I got the old Case yard tractor running with its snowblower but it is rather inadequate .. doesn't throw the snow far enough so I wind up having to blow the same snow two or three times to get it off the driveway.

Sure hope you're job search goes well. I applied for, was offered and accepted the fleet maintenance job at a local golf course. Less money and seasonal but I look at it as being semi-retired. Working on their machinery will be a lot lighter and therefore easier on this old body of mine than the heavy duty equipment I've been working with. I've decided its time to slow down a bit. :)

No, still have the house but have just today hired a different agent and are putting it back on the market. Hoping this time will work :)

The new house is great .. really enjoy eating the grape jam, apple sauce and strawberry preserves that my wife made from fruit grown in our yard :D On the other hand, moving snow from this large a driveway grows old pretty quickly. I got the old Case yard tractor running with its snowblower but it is rather inadequate .. doesn't throw the snow far enough so I wind up having to blow the same snow two or three times to get it off the driveway.

Sure hope you're job search goes well. I applied for, was offered and accepted the fleet maintenance job at a local golf course. Less money and seasonal but I look at it as being semi-retired. Working on their machinery will be a lot lighter and therefore easier on this old body of mine than the heavy duty equipment I've been working with. I've decided its time to slow down a bit. :)
Slowing down a bit is a good thing if we can afford it. More time to play with the important things. I am headed that way by summertime myself. :D

Slowing down a bit is a good thing if we can afford it. More time to play with the important things. I am headed that way by summertime myself. :D

Slowing down is good, just don't stop. Things quit working when not used. (and not just that)

Latest posts

Back