Bomber Style Door Panels *pics*

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gastrick

One of the Dirty Dozen!
I bought some used bomber seats for my coupe because they were a good deal, I didn't have some of the tooling needed to make them how I wanted, and well basically... I suck. But I thought that some bomber style door panels would look good with the seats so I decided to try my hand at fabbing some up. Here is what I ended up making. Even in these simple panels, I ended up bucking 120 solid rivets per panel.

With a seat.

And dark, but a temp install on the car.

Just a tip to pass on. The handles are for speaker cabinets or amps. I got them off of ebay for seven bucks for the pair. Here's some in progress pics.

Wow..........

OK, that came out real nice...
I am kind of clueless on some of the metal working items :confused: (makes me wish I had taken metal shop
in high school :rolleyes: ) how did you make the raised ribs on all the various pieces?
Keep on posting...'22

I think those are made on a tool called an "English Wheel". They are rolled in to metal work such as that to add strength and rigidity. Don't quote me on that. But I think that's it..

Very nice work!

makes me wish I had taken metal shop
in high school

I was just thinkin' the same thing the other day! Wish I'd taken auto shop too!!!

Gatrick,
Man, that is nice work!!! Yeah, fill us in... nothin' like learnin' from someone who knows what they're doin'!!! Like the thought of speaker handles too! ; - >

Thanks again!
BoB

I think those are made on a tool called an "English Wheel". They are rolled in to metal work such as that to add strength and rigidity. Don't quote me on that. But I think that's it..

You're right Flat, only the tool used is called a bead roller instead of an english wheel.

And Bob, I have no idea what I'm doing. I just wing it. The closest thing I have to any training in sheetmetal work is that I welded structural steel for a living over twenty years ago.

Thanx for korrektin me on that...
LOLOLOL...

I would love to have all those tools in my shop, and those panels really are nice lookin.

Nice work.
I’ve been seriously considering getting into this bead rolling.
Did you use a roller from Harbor Freight, and If you did, please post some pics on how you beefed up the frame work.
Jeff

Chop,

I just have a cheap bead roller that I clamp into a vice. It may be a HF but I'm not sure because I got it used years ago. Although it needs to be beefed up, I never think about it until right before I'm about to use it and then it's too late. Then when I'm done with it, I put it back on the shelf and forget about it until I'm ready to use it again. Then it's too late. I can't seem to break the cycle of neglect :D .

This is my Mitler Bros. powered bead roller.
The foot pedal works like the ones on a sewing machine. ( variable speed )

Tracy

Attachments

• 100_0800.JPG
    100_0800.JPG
    80.4 KB · Views: 37

Latest posts

Back