Kool Car Photos!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
cooltext68148850.jpg

rat3.jpg

Is that car really breaking the sound barrier? Isn't that like many hundreds of mph? Man that must be the fastest car in the world:eek:

Wow! I was just looking into breaking the sound barrier and to do it on land at sea level you need to be going over 700mph!!! If that car is breaking the sound barrier it is definately the fastest land vehicle ever!

Values of the Speed of Sound:

One of the most common questions we receive is fow fast is the speed of sound, and as was pointed out earlier, there is no single value to quote. The speed of sound, also known as Mach 1, changes throughout the atmosphere based on the temperature at any given altitude. Probably the most important value to remember, however, is the speed of sound at sea level. Based on the standard atmospheric model, this value has been defined to be

1,116.4 ft/s
340.3 m/s
761.2 mph
1,225.1 km/h
661.5 knots
If you were to reach Mach 1, or "break the sound barrier," at sea level, the above speed is how fast you would have to travel in order to do so.

Last edited:
Is that car really breaking the sound barrier? Isn't that like many hundreds of mph? Man that must be the fastest car in the world:eek:

It is the fastest car in the world, driven by Andy Green. And here is the beast.

On Wednesday, October 15th, 1997, the ThrustSSC team made two more runs. The first, the car's 65th run, was timed at 759.333 miles per hour, which is Mach 1.015. The all-important backup run was successfully made within the hour, at 766.609 miles per hour.

After verifying the timing equipment, the USAC officials granted the team a new world land speed record. The average speed between the two runs was 763.035 miles per hour, which is Mach 1.020.

WOW!:eek:Thats incredible! I can't even begin to imagine what that ride must be like. I wonder if you have to wear an oxygen mask in that thing. Gas thanks for figuring it out. Was there any info on the car itself? ie engine or the distance from 0 to 760 and back to 0. Must have been a long stretch I would imagine. Amazing! Thanks for posting that pic Earthman. I think I'm gonna steal it too

Hotrodron,

Click the below link to read more about the car. I was following this car back when they were building it and found it interesting. It is said that this car has more speed in it and if it's record is broken, they will just roll it back out on the course and tap the loud pedal a little harder.

http://www.roadsters.com/750/

Latest posts

Back