Undead Sleds / Rat Rods Rule - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Sleepers, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007!

Go Back   Undead Sleds / Rat Rods Rule - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Sleepers, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007! > Builds!

Builds! Post your project here... show us what you're up to! Please Note: This section is for "Builds" ONLY!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 11-08-2021, 06:28 PM
bob w bob w is offline
Still crazy after all these years!
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Stillwater, MN
Posts: 12,919
Default

The only Packard Gasser I ever saw was Dave Koeffel's later model E/G car. I believe it won the Nationals at Indy more that once. zz, you will have a one of a kind.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 11-09-2021, 12:15 AM
zzrodder's Avatar
zzrodder zzrodder is offline
It ain't grey hair, it's chrome!
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: The Sunny Okanagan B.C. Canada
Posts: 3,785
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05snopro440 View Post
Yesssssssssssss! The cat is out of the bag! I can't wait to see what this uninhibited and borderline childish build looks like! An 871 I think is on every hot rodders dream list, this is going to be super awesome to see.

I was confused for a moment, thinking leaf springs go in the rear and wondering why you wanted it to sit so low in the front. Now I get it It's definitely a Monday.
Yeah, I was going to wait 'till spring to reveal this one, but with the parts piling up and the other one pretty much done, I just got too twitchy and couldn't help myself
I wouldn't normally splurge on such a bunch of expensive parts but I sold my Motorhome that had never left the yard, an unfulfilled dream of sorts... I call this 'redirecting my investment strategies'
Gassers and 60's show rods were the type of models I built as a kid and the local street heros drove 60's to early 70's drag influenced cars, so the style is permanently burned into my brain. So now I'm giving in to the voices in my head and doing what they tell me
Ha, if my workshop is my man cave, are the soapstone drawings cave paintings? I always start this way, a full scale drawing on the floor, easy to figure out where things go and how it will look and make changes before ever cutting any metal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob w View Post
The only Packard Gasser I ever saw was Dave Koeffel's later model E/G car. I believe it won the Nationals at Indy more that once. zz, you will have a one of a kind.
Yes, I've seen that one before, he was a brave man to take one of those 'bathtub' Packards and make a race car out of it. I do like to blaze my own trail and work on the unusual or less common cars, much like you do.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 11-09-2021, 09:40 AM
Bamamav's Avatar
Bamamav Bamamav is offline
Rusty Rat Rodder
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Berry, Alabama
Posts: 6,020
Default

Please don't make it one of those freaks with the front way higher than the back! I like the level look like the Stone, Woods, and Cook Willys and Ohio George's 34 Willys. Higher, but level.

I see it bright blue, just like SWC....
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 11-09-2021, 10:59 AM
zzrodder's Avatar
zzrodder zzrodder is offline
It ain't grey hair, it's chrome!
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: The Sunny Okanagan B.C. Canada
Posts: 3,785
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamamav View Post
Please don't make it one of those freaks with the front way higher than the back! I like the level look like the Stone, Woods, and Cook Willys and Ohio George's 34 Willys. Higher, but level.

I see it bright blue, just like SWC....
I guess it depends on which version of the SWC car(s) you prefer, many had the nose up stance. This 'aint a Willys, but I want it to fall somewhere in between, I don't want a step ladder to get in it
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 11-09-2021, 12:37 PM
05snopro440's Avatar
05snopro440 05snopro440 is offline
Rusty Rat Rodder
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Sherwood Park, Alberta
Posts: 5,007
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzrodder View Post
Yeah, I was going to wait 'till spring to reveal this one, but with the parts piling up and the other one pretty much done, I just got too twitchy and couldn't help myself
I wouldn't normally splurge on such a bunch of expensive parts but I sold my Motorhome that had never left the yard, an unfulfilled dream of sorts... I call this 'redirecting my investment strategies'
Gassers and 60's show rods were the type of models I built as a kid and the local street heros drove 60's to early 70's drag influenced cars, so the style is permanently burned into my brain. So now I'm giving in to the voices in my head and doing what they tell me
Ha, if my workshop is my man cave, are the soapstone drawings cave paintings? I always start this way, a full scale drawing on the floor, easy to figure out where things go and how it will look and make changes before ever cutting any metal.

At least if you spend money on good parts, you usually don't have to do it twice!

I like the slightly nose up stance on a gasser-style car. I am definitely on board with calling those cave paintings! I wish my builds were that well planned. My Model A is half-built in my head, but I never scratch anything down anywhere.

I can't wait to see how this turns out, I bet it will be spectacular!
__________________
1946 GMC Pickup (455 Buick and S10 frame) - Build Thread
1962 Bel Air
1982 S10
1986 Caprice
1928 Model A Roadster Pickup (project)
---------------------------------------------------------------
And when Iím gone, you can call me foolish but hopefully not boring. I will have lived.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 11-09-2021, 07:06 PM
Bamamav's Avatar
Bamamav Bamamav is offline
Rusty Rat Rodder
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Berry, Alabama
Posts: 6,020
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzrodder View Post
I guess it depends on which version of the SWC car(s) you prefer, many had the nose up stance. This 'aint a Willys, but I want it to fall somewhere in between, I don't want a step ladder to get in it
That last blue one is purt near perfect. A little nose up is ok, but a lot of guys go extreme and are looking up in the trees all the time, lol!

However you decide, Iím sure it will turn out great.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 11-09-2021, 08:35 PM
Couper's Avatar
Couper Couper is offline
Rusty Rat Rodder
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Northern NJ
Posts: 978
Default

Gona be awesome ZZ. Love those chalk drawings on the floor
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 11-09-2021, 11:05 PM
zzrodder's Avatar
zzrodder zzrodder is offline
It ain't grey hair, it's chrome!
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: The Sunny Okanagan B.C. Canada
Posts: 3,785
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamamav View Post
That last blue one is purt near perfect. A little nose up is ok, but a lot of guys go extreme and are looking up in the trees all the time, lol!

However you decide, Iím sure it will turn out great.
I hear ya, I want to be able to go around a corner without tipping over.
I agree about those over the top nose bleed cars, they're goofy to me. That lower version of the SWC car is one of the latter day ones, maybe even a recreation. There was a reason in the beginning for the nose up stance - tires were not as good as now and raising the front was to help with weight transfer to try to get the tires to hook up. Aerodynamics was secondary to getting a good launch. As tires got better the nose got lower and MPH increased, handling got better with less of a tendency to get airborne through the traps....
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 11-09-2021, 11:09 PM
zzrodder's Avatar
zzrodder zzrodder is offline
It ain't grey hair, it's chrome!
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: The Sunny Okanagan B.C. Canada
Posts: 3,785
Default

Another puzzle piece came today, Gear Vendors Overdrive unit to add onto the Turbo 400 to make it more livable on the road with the 4.88 rear gear.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3440.JPG (96.8 KB, 102 views)
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 11-10-2021, 08:36 AM
Old Iron's Avatar
Old Iron Old Iron is offline
Rusty Rat Rodder
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Willard Mo.
Posts: 14,941
Default

Nice part!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:44 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Rat Rods Rule Inc.