new pieces to look rusty

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exador

I am going to assume some may know this. But if some don`t.

If you have to use new shiny metal pieces on yer rat rod there is a way to create the rust look. Use a glass container, (must be glass) put in bleach and then put your shiny piece in. After a few hrs. it will get a fuzzy rust colored coat on it. Next day wipe off fuzzy coat and put back in to bleach. Repeat till you get the desired look.

I suggest a test first. Glass jar with lid, put in bleach, put in NEW nail, put on lid and observe a few days.

I do not know what if any thing to use but glass. On a big piece you might brush with bleach. Could also use browning solution as you would put brown finish on a rifle or scatter gun.

Rust it

We've been using a bleach/vinegar mix in a spray bottle for a couple of years now. The 'new' rust is a lighter color so always looking for new mixes.

Bleach or vinegar will work. Better than using strong acids like muriatic. When you use muriatic it is easy to over do it unless you use something to neutralize it like baking soda in water. It keeps eating until you do.
I use a bathroom cleaner called Scrub Free made by Arm & Hammer. It's about $2/qt. I lightly wire brush the surface of new metal, spray Scrub Free on, let it foam out, then I rinse with unfiltered well water. My well water contains iron so it speeds it up some. The Scrub free has an oxidizer in it that causes the foam. It cleans the surface really well and the surface that is left is real receptive to anything that goes on it until it is painted or other finish is used. I can get the orange rust in about 15 minutes and just repeat all steps except the wire brush until it gets fairly dark. I am still evening the color up on mine, but about 65% or more of my sheet metal is new. If you have the orange rust where you want it, and want to darken it, use OSPHO(light solution of phosphoric acid and water). That will convert iron oxide(rust) to iron phosphate(darker, harder, and rust neutralized). The only part on mine that has had the OSPHO treatment so far is the box.

Last edited:
oop`s I forgot to stop it

To stop the rust action wash it with baking soda and water. Will need several rinses with plain water then several with soda water. May need to do next day too.

Latest posts

Back