Beating a dead horse.... My $500 66 Mustang coupe build.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blue

Back story..

About a year ago I picked up a 66 Mustang 6cyl, that ran, with a title, for $500
It is rough, but my wife told me we were buying it before I could even look it over.

The deal was made and I trailered it home.

Shortly after I bought an old 55 series one Chevy truck, that was ratchet strapped to a 95 S10 frame, and that moved to the front of the line. Fast forward 5 months and the truck is on the road and driving, so the Mustang moved to the #1 position.
(truck build here http://ratrodsrule.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31571 )

Started on the car in Jan, so I will catch you up on the last few months.

Car before being loaded and taken home

M1_zps6e7e3f9c.jpg

M2_zps2253061b.jpg

My son who has now claimed the Mustang as his, removing the fender

T2_zps2c0c7b54.jpg

before he got too far disassembling the car, we pulled it into the garage.
Then we pulled the engine and fenders.

FrontStart_zps18d85a80.jpg

LeftStart_zps60352297.jpg

then removed the suspension and undercoating, and it is starting to look better

LeftClean_zpsb3dcd0cb.jpg

I was able to find 2 brand new fenders on Craigslist for $125.
Still black EDP coating on the back side, and a coat of primer on the front.

DSC_00111_zps9c2261c5.jpg

Then I found a set of wheels, regular price $179 each, and I got 4 of them for $69 each with free shipping!!!!!

Wheel2_zps0a95e7bd.jpg

Then I installed a Mustang II cross member.
I was looking at different 5 lug disk brake conversions for the Mustang, and most of them needed V8 spindles which are pretty expensive
then I would have to change out all the steering too.. Turns out a Mustang II front end was cheaper once you add it all up.

Started on making some shock tower fillers as well

Lot more room now for different engine choices

Crossmember2_zps135e49ed.jpg

the Mustang II front end comes with boxing plates to box in the stock frame before adding the crossmember.. I may have gone overboard, but I decided to box in the whole "frame"...

FrameRaw_zps6b443f9b.jpg

Cleaned up, painted

LeftSide_zps3f701297.jpg

LeftWheel_zps79d4f12b.jpg

LeftWheel1_zpsbe5916cd.jpg

LeftWheel2_zps990a7e6d.jpg

Next up, I finished the right side frame rail, and mounted the suspension on that side, along with the rack and pinion..

Fenders are just resting there, still need to clean the firewall, after I tackle the dreaded Mustang cowl repair

Nose%20Durring_zpszni7gvy4.jpg

66Bay_zpsj0fba4b2.jpg

I got some tires delivered and mounted
So I narrowed my rack, mounted up the front tires, and pushed her out of the garage,
and spun her around so that I can start work hanging the new rear end.

Once the rear is hung, I will work on firewall and cowl.. then I can do floors and start assembling this thing..

Hard to see without the proper stance, but should look good

TiresSide_zps3yxpodmg.jpg

TiresFt_zps33qiszhp.jpg

I was able to rip out the old 6cyl rear end, and wheel the new 8.8 under it.

Looks like I might have lucked out. I was expecting to be a hair too wide, and was planning on slitting the rear quarter flare and pulling it out an inch. Looks like I might get away with rolling the lips (after installing the new quarters of course)

Old rear coming out. Right side front leaf spring eye snapped off when removing the bolt through it.

Rear%20Old_zpslvqnya35.jpg

Old and New (new will be painted before I am done of course)

Rear%20Old%20N%20New_zpsjvlcctkh.jpg

Trial fit

Rear%20New_zpskqw9ygff.jpg

Apparently a full width Explorer 8.8, 18x9 wheels with 6.18" Back space (30mm offset) and 275/35/18's is almost a perfect fit on a 66 Mustang

Rear%20Side_zpse9lpc0gh.jpg

Man.. A sane person would have scrapped this thing..

I started cutting out some rusty frame rails.
Last foot and a half or so were bad, so I took it all the way back to about the axle centerline.
That way I can also tie the new rail into the crossmember that the shocks mount to.
Figure it can't hurt to try to strengthen it up a bit..

Rusty rail

Rusty%20Rail_zpsm5l2atbw.jpg

made a new rail

Rail%20New_zps19yvw1gk.jpg

Trunk rough cut back to clean steel.
Now I need to build a cradle for a fuel cell, weld that in place, then I can clean cut the edges and drop a new floor in.. Then it's onto replacing the trunk extensions once I have the new floor to weld to.

TrunkHole_zpsv2eyaq5n.jpg

on a side note, to save some money and so that I can steer the car when I push it around, I cleaned up an old Grant steering wheel. I am going to grab some stainless steel allen head bolts for the holes. It will do for now

Steering%20Wheel%201_zpsz5cfqk1w.jpg

Steering%20Wheel%202_zpsgrxbd6jt.jpg

I also got a new steering column.

Steering%20Wheel%203_zps6kma0vvk.jpg

Made a cradle

T1_zpsckix264t.jpg

test fit

T2_zpskd3dwast.jpg

and view from rear

T3_zpslxfecfnh.jpg

Got some new parts sitting in my office here at work :)

a pair of quarters, pair of trunk extensions, a front valance, and a rear valance..

Parts_zpsqzgwyub1.jpg

I was able to tack down the center of the trunk floor, an fit and tack one trunk extension..

There was multiple layers of metal riveted over rotted metal, screen in other spots, all then smoothed over with bondo..
All getting cut away..

T4_zpssmx9akw2.jpg

Still have to tack the trim panel on the rear, and make a small patch where I cut the floor a bit longer than the patch panel
(should have waited for it to get here before cutting, lol) but it's progress..

I will probably do a roll on bedliner coating on the floor like I did in my Roadrunner.

T5_zpsvx77p4te.jpg

Got a quarter cut off, and the new one fit.

RC2_zpslttuly9v.jpg

RC1_zpszgcswgia.jpg

But I did test fit the quarter... going to be MUCH better :)

RC3_zps9x0jwm3u.jpg

RC4_zpsphhybvw5.jpg

Got some new tail lights (lenses, buckets, bezel, all the screws, etc) new fuel filler (with gasket and screws) new gas cap, and not shown, but got new reverse lights (bezel, gasket, lens, etc) that will go into the new rear valance.

Later I am going to see if I can make a new top for the fuel cell so I can attach it to the stock fuel filler..

I think once I get a trunk lid, and rear bumper, everything behind the doors will be rust free..
Then I have hours of welding to fully weld everything out.

Anyway, couldn't resist a little test fit of lights, and fuel filler/cap

test_zpskwxfootq.jpg

starting to fit the wheel house.
Lower part of trunk extension needs to be trimmed once quarter is fit,
you can see white line in lower left corner of picture where I started to mark it.
At least they mentioned that trimming is required in the part description.
(it is listed for a 1965-1970 Mustang, and we all know the body style changed in 67)

31_zps1cqli9ip.jpg

Ok.. this brings us up to date.. remember the Blah?

RC2_zpslttuly9v.jpg

New wheel house, lots of welding, wire brushing, grinding, some POR, and Tada!

RtRep_zpsqf5ze10p.jpg

Now it's on to the other side... Ugh

That is really looking good. What kind of paint did you paint the inside of the 1/4"s with? Is it something that will not flame up when you weld the 1/4 on? I'm just asking so I know what to use when I do some body-work..Thax

Bamamav

I have seen most of those builds, but there were a couple I had not seen.

Ok, been doing a TON of welding in the trunk, wheel wells, got both quarters tacked on,
rear end finally bolted in.. Pushed it out to clean the garage, and snapped a few pics..

Need a bumper and trunk lid and the back will be about done!

Quarter%20Closer%202_zpsdimzu9rz.jpg

Quarter%20Closer_zpslqtluqjn.jpg

Rear%20Closer_zpstexcxtsl.jpg

Front%20Closer_zpsnrz0zcif.jpg

and a quick photoshop where I would like it to sit once the engine and interior are in it.

SideCloser1_zpszxkpihtx.jpg

Latest posts

Back