compressor dead

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jfg455

The Hot Rod Cop
well I've known for a while that my air compressor has been drawing quite a bit of amps when it starts but tonight the motor finally crapped out. Of course it was right in the middle of painting 30 display stands I need to ship out on Friday![S

Well I got everything painted by daisy chaining a couple of construction compressors together...Lol

I have a new motor on the way for it. The old lasted 17 years so I can't complain too much.

That's about the life span of one that is used quite regularly.
I got 18 years out of mine and had to replace it this summer too.

It could be just a capacitor, that they use to start the motor. I had a drill press quit, i took the motor off to have it fixed. It was just a capacitor, $12.50 at a motor repair place. I was very happy.

capacitor

The cap went bad on my craftsman drill press. The fix was easy. I just took my hand and gave it a spin and started up. Had to watch which way I spun it. Would run either forward or backwards.

This had a magnetic starter on it and it will turn slowly with a horrendous draw on the system then blow a 50 amp breaker after 3 seconds. It is only supposed to use 27 amps under load. The new motor showed up and it is a capacitor start unit. I will probably rebuild the other motor unit and drop it into my Bridgeport mill. At the moment my mill has a 3/4 hp washing machine 1 phase motor turning a pulley on top of the 3 phase head unit in the mill... probably time to pull the 3 phase motor out and replace it with a single phase unit...That has been running like that for 20 years...:eek:

It could be just a capacitor, that they use to start the motor. I had a drill press quit, i took the motor off to have it fixed. It was just a capacitor, $12.50 at a motor repair place. I was very happy.
That's what I thought and replace all three with new ones, no go, now I have three new capacitors and a new motor :rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back