So how do you get the right stance?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikec4193

Hi Rat rodders

So I am with an empty garage and I would love to put something in the spare stall I have and the Rat Rod Magazine comes every other month and gets me to thinking about another...

So what is the trick to getting the right stance??... I will see some stuff on Craigslist and they just don't look right and they still want stupid money for them...

I have noticed a lot more semi-truck size tires and wheels on some of the rat rods and they tend to make some difference with the look and the right stance too...

I know back in the day it was easier because everybody started with model T or model A or Duece coupe...they look cool before you even did anything to them...

Any insight before I kill some more rusty old sheet metal again would be an awesome thing.

Is there a formula I need to get everything to sit right??...stance is everything in this sport...

MikeC

I am not into the truck thing I am seeing lately, although if I could afford it I would love to get my hands on the 30's coupe or T bucket styles.

But speaking of stance, here is a link to a 49 Ford that I know, the guy used to hang out at the Hooters where my daughter got her start as bartender. There is also a link to a news article about the car and the videos people take when they see it.

49 Ford IN FORT LAUDERDALE

SUN SENTINEL ARTICLE

You are correct and there is a bunch of ugly junk that people want a lot of money for out there. I am into the adjustable ride height with air suspension that way they drive nice they clear everything but yet in a parking lot they sit as low as physically possible. Everything needs to look proportional also in my opinion. Some of these cars are way too long. As for the big semi wheels and tires probably not my style, now that being said our next customer build is going to have them. But it's what the customer wants so he's paying me I told him I painted pink if you wanted me to. A lot of it I think it's personal preference build what you like who cares what anyone else thinks.

My 2 cents...
Are you building it to sell, where the current flavor of the week adds or subtracts to it's value? Or are you building it for yourself and what you like?
Public tastes are fickle to say the least....
Most of it is about what looks good to you. There are lots of builds of the same car/truck out there and everyone of them is different based on the owners/builders likes.
I'm mostly a custom guy these days and I spend a lot of time sitting and staring at my project. ( "Imagineering". As Mercury Mac like to call it) to get things right before I start to cut it up.
When Rat rodding started it was a bit of a "Anti-street rod" thing. Street rods had become (among other things) not very unique. And very expensive. So the "Use what you've got" era was born. Which in some ways is a throw back to what used to be. Now look at the prices and you can see that Rat rodding has become mainstream.And expensive if you buy a built one.
We build our own to our own tastes. And in the case of some of the pro builders on here like lowbudget said, the customers taste isn't always the builders taste.
I personally have never built a ride with air bags. I'm 62 and have been doing stuff like this since I was 14. I don't care for the "Laying frame"look but I understand an appreciate the work involved with building a correct one.
I'm a firm believer in that once you find your project the vision will come to you.
Good hunting and keep us posted..
Torchie
p.s. That was more like 5 cents...

My 2 cents...
Are you building it to sell, where the current flavor of the week adds or subtracts to it's value? Or are you building it for yourself and what you like?
Public tastes are fickle to say the least....
Torchie
p.s. That was more like 5 cents...

Hi Torchie

When I get something and I rebuild it...If I get it to the point where it will run and drive...I might if I am lucky I will drive it 3 or 4 times and then I send it down the road...never liked driving them...

My wife shakes her head and she has been known to ask me..."so why don't you hang onto them???"

Odd Ball...Freak...whack job...etc etc....that is me...

MikeC

Hi Torchie

When I get something and I rebuild it...If I get it to the point where it will run and drive...I might if I am lucky I will drive it 3 or 4 times and then I send it down the road...never liked driving them...

My wife shakes her head and she has been known to ask me..."so why don't you hang onto them???"

Odd Ball...Freak...whack job...etc etc....that is me...

MikeC
I understand. Lol last 3 boats I restored I only rode in once.

mine

took some trail & error in mocking up Alice a few time, l think the stance on her is perfection--

my opinion only, but when talking about stance at shows alot of people think l nailed it:D

Later:cool:

Attachments

• D2.jpg
    D2.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 18
  • jimmy truck in front of darrins house.jpg
    jimmy truck in front of darrins house.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 19
  • jimmy's truck good guys.jpg
    jimmy's truck good guys.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 20
Imagineering and building are what primarily attracts me to this hobby. There is no second place attraction. So Mike, I'm a little like you, in that the third place attraction is driving the hotrod, [ although I drive them more than you do]. Torchie, I like and use the term Imagineering a lot, but I didn't invent the word, someone else on here did.
Mike, my two cents on stance is, if you have an idea as to what car you're going after, research in a lot of magazines and on the internet that kind of car and figure out what you like for stance and why. Keep in mind the final outcome, owning and driving it, just showing it, or selling it. Each of the different outcomes will affect the build style.
Good luck and get going.

to me the right stance is when you look at your ride from any angle and your mind is at ease while your heart starts beating faster.

It's a very fickle thing to nail. It takes a lot of time, careful planning and measuring to get it right....and when it's right, it's a beautiful thing. But when it's wrong....it can really go south.

One of the best ways is to take some pics, side view, front, rear, etc, then make some copies and cut them up and put them back together. You'll get a feeling for what you like. If you're good at photoshop, you can do it that way, too.

Your question takes several questions as to what you like and are into.
Each of us have a different idea of what is and looks cool.
Hence the age old Ford, Dodge, Chevy thing.
I build what to me represents a little old school cool combined with modern eye appeal.
If you'll describe your idea then we can help out.

Your question takes several questions as to what you like and are into.
Each of us have a different idea of what is and looks cool.
Hence the age old Ford, Dodge, Chevy thing.
I build what to me represents a little old school cool combined with modern eye appeal.
If you'll describe your idea then we can help out.
Hey oldiron

Funny you should ask...I have so many old relics over the years but none of them really do for me once I get them done and then I am so ready to move on...always loved the deuce coupe but I am not a rich man so I have always been drawn to this type of hot rod more than anything else...

https://postimg.cc/ftv2BMCq

https://postimg.cc/9rBmZ9yy

https://postimg.cc/hhsyWPnK

So I am going to have to find some pieces and parts...I want something to take the grandkids out for a ride in...so 2 seats...some lights fore and aft would be nice too...

Mikec

I like the old 30's, 40's and some 50's modified cars
The coupes were the most used with some sedans sprinkled in among them.
That's right down skull's alley.
You can use an i-beam axle for them but, most have a-frames. Either way they look cool.
Put the frame on blocks, the height that you want it to ride at and roll the front and rear axles under it. That's where you start.

Latest posts

Back