Opinions about my exhaust..

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fuzz

Livin' the rat roddin' lifestyle
This v8 s10 I'm building doesn't have much room for exhaust so I built my headers to exit thru the fenders. Now I can't make up my mind where to rout the pipes. Thought I might go over the roof to be different but kinda not sure now. I routed the drivers side pipes like traditional side pipes. What do ya think?[S

Attachments

• s10 084 (Small).jpg
    s10 084 (Small).jpg
    58 KB · Views: 52
  • s10 090 (Small).jpg
    s10 090 (Small).jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 51
  • s10 085 (Small).jpg
    s10 085 (Small).jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 42
  • s10 086 (Small).jpg
    s10 086 (Small).jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 45
  • s10 089 (Small).jpg
    s10 089 (Small).jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 43
  • s10 088 (Small).jpg
    s10 088 (Small).jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 42
Well those are different looking ideas. Is there maybe room for a gasser type setup [S
If not I would go with the bottom setup, less chance of burning one's self which is a problem I seem to have for some reason. [S

There's no room for the typical fenderwell exhaust. The only ready made headers are by Patriot and once installed you can't change plugs or do a compression check. And the drivers side exhaust pipe would have to be too close to transmission, so I made my own.

My 2 cents....
Either way could be a burn issue.
The ones that goes up to the roof looks like it may create a blind spot by the A pillar. And I agree with soltz about the burn issue. I put my hand on that roof spot above the door getting out of my vehicle a lot.:eek:
I would go with the side pipe style and try to tuck them in as much as possible.

Torchie

My 2 cents....
Either way could be a burn issue.
The ones that goes up to the roof looks like it may create a blind spot by the A pillar. And I agree with soltz about the burn issue. I put my hand on that roof spot above the door getting out of my vehicle a lot.:eek:
I would go with the side pipe style and try to tuck them in as much as possible.

Torchie

My other car has side exhaust and little "Nerf" bars to protect the legs. Guess I'll do the same on this one.

Attachments

• jewett 023 (Small).jpg
    jewett 023 (Small).jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 28
Agree with Torchie and Soltz. Burned myself on exhaust a few times. Always wanted to do some demo derby style straight up pipes. Like that other car Fuzz. That S10 gonna light em up fine. [cl

they do make three different styles of headers for s10's, shorties and long tubes and as you said short spark plugs that are hard to change but they make a set of fender well exits that are nice but they are race headers and cost. i myself would go low.

My V8 S10 has manifolds and fits fine. Literally thousands of these trucks have had a V8 swapped in with headers or manifolds so I'm not sure why you're having trouble with room for exhaust.

Exhaust anywhere on the outside leaves chance for burns as others have mentioned. If it had to be outside I'd go down, but there are much prettier ways to do it. Just my thoughts.

If you're gonna put them outside, you better make some heat guards for them. First time you park in public anywhere, some kid is liable to get against those pipes and burn themselves. I know, any outside exhaust carries that possibility, but most exhaust is down low, not waist high. Anyone not realizing those pipes are hot will be real hot at you in short order.....:eek::eek::eek:

Latest posts

Back