Undead Sleds - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007!

Go Back   Undead Sleds - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007! > Engine Q&A!

Engine Q&A! The spot for engine talk, Q&A & tall tales!

Old 06-07-2017, 09:23 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Default Dual straight pipes

I just ordered a jones y pipe to run dual straight pipes on my 53 chevy 235. The manifold pipe to the muffler is 2 inch. My y adapter is 2 inch inlet and dual 2 inch outlet. Im not looking for performance, just sound. What size dual outlet should i reduce down to? Ive been told that 1.5 inch dual outlets would sound the best. I know fentons are the answer but those will be later down the road. Would the smaller diameter tailpipes give her a more rappy sound?
Old 06-07-2017, 09:49 PM
Brother Rat

What I used to have on my Y-block Ford 292 was 1.5" duals into burned out cherry bombs. Side dumped in front of the rear wheels. After the last turn I had about 3" tube for the side dumps. I could keep it quiet taking it easy through the neighborhood, it rumbled pretty good at road speed, but when you got on it, it barked hard.

I'd probably try the same idea on yours. Run 1.5" to the muffler and then maybe bigger past that.

Images of that 50ish IH cab grafted in the middle of a 90s Pontiac grand am are still burned into my brain like seeing a fat aunt naked. - ???
Old 06-07-2017, 11:24 PM

Default split manifold sound.

Chevies and dodge 6 with a split manifold have unique sounds. I was in high school in the 50's I split my own manifold and kept the heat riser working. chevy 6 ;s were the most popular cars. I cut a slot in the manifold and cut a piece of flat stock, tacked in in place , then cut a hole in the # 4 location and tacked on a 1 3/4 piece of water pipe, the procedure was to heat the manifold cherry red and then weld with 6011 arc rod then let it cool down in the fire box of the wood cook stove bunner box in the old ranch house. I bought anothe stock exhaust pipe and made some gradual bends to fit on the otherr side.
Old 06-08-2017, 09:07 AM
Devil's Advocate

The smaller diameter will help, but without a split manifold it's not going to change much sound-wise.
Old 06-08-2017, 07:08 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Eyed Devil View Post
The smaller diameter will help, but without a split manifold it's not going to change much sound-wise.
Its got a muffler on it now bigger than the car. You cant hear it running
Old 06-09-2017, 08:53 PM

Default The sound.

The ranch was 7 miles from the high school and with twin straight pipes and no mufflers the kids said they could hear it when we started it in the mornings. an YES my hearing is bad but I just say I"m older than WW II
Old 06-09-2017, 09:56 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Two pipes might be quieter than a single.
Will probably be obnoxious either way, 6's just don't sound good with straights to me. At least put some glass packs on it to mellow it out a bit. Will still sound like a bumblebee farting in a gourd, but at least it won't make you deaf.
Old 06-09-2017, 09:57 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIMOTHALE View Post
The ranch was 7 miles from the high school and with twin straight pipes and no mufflers the kids said they could hear it when we started it in the mornings. an YES my hearing is bad but I just say I"m older than WW II
Thats what i wanted to hear, thank you