Undead Sleds - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007!

Go Back   Undead Sleds - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007! > Transmission, Rear End... Talk & Q&A!

Transmission, Rear End... Talk & Q&A! Tranny, rear end, drivetrain related stuff... shift it... grind it... pop da clutch!

Old 06-16-2017, 09:47 PM

Default Motor and transmission angles

So I have my motor and trans set at a certain look that I desire but the carb isn't level and the trans is at about 2 1/2 degrees but I like the look of the motor sitting where it is . So the question is what problems will I have if I let it sit right where it is and make the motor mounts? The motor is at about a 1 1/2 to 2 degrees angle nose down and not level to the frame .
Old 06-16-2017, 10:02 PM
He's rockin' the "Nuttin Special"!

Quote:
Originally Posted by suicide33plymouth View Post
So I have my motor and trans set at a certain look that I desire but the carb isn't level and the trans is at about 2 1/2 degrees but I like the look of the motor sitting where it is . So the question is what problems will I have if I let it sit right where it is and make the motor mounts? The motor is at about a 1 1/2 to 2 degrees angle nose down and not level to the frame .

if it's not pretty close to where it should be, you'll experience a pinion angle vibration that will not go away until you get the pinion angle back to correct...
A good clue is getting the angle right by getting the carburetor level...some can be corrected by changing angles at the rear end with wedges under the springs or actually re-welding the angle at the spring saddle to axle connect point.
Old 06-16-2017, 10:25 PM

Default Small foot

my understanding is if the pinion angle is at 2 1/2 down I can just put the pinion angle of the rear end at 2 1/2 up making them basically parallel right and there won't be any vibrations . I have a triangulated four link in the rear that is tacked in that I can adjust the angle pretty easy at this stage
Old 06-17-2017, 06:48 AM
He's rockin' the "Nuttin Special"!

I altered mine some too and was able to bring the vibration out at the rear end. It may take several tries. Not sure if all brands do the same but
chevy drivetrains are easiest if you try to get the manifold mounting surface for the carb level to start with.
Old 06-17-2017, 08:46 AM

Default Boat carb wedges

There are Carb mount wedges that are used on inboard engines to level the carb, The key to drive lines is to have the crank centerline and pinion parellel . an some trucks vans used to have the engines offset side to side
The Dana spicer webside has a lot of info. My link didn't work

google boat carb wedge and lots of hits for various carbs and wedge angles.
Old 06-17-2017, 03:55 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

A few degrees might be OK, but if you're running a automatic especially you don't want too severe of an angle or the fluid will all be at the end of the pan, away from the pickup. Not as critical on the engine oil pan as it is deeper.
Old 06-18-2017, 06:28 PM

Default Trans angle

Trans angle is about 2 1/2 down at the output shaft of the trans bammaman
Old 06-18-2017, 08:00 PM
Rocket Surgeon

Where is the motor positioned? 1.5 down at the front, or 2.5 down at the back? It can't be both.

Ignore the intake/carb flange and measure at the pan rail or starter pad. (These surfaces are parallel to the crankshaft.) What do you have?

The rule-of-thumb for universal joints is opposite and equal. Pinion and crankshaft parallel to each other, though offset may factor and require some "adjustments".

I have this on file (below) and believe TIMOTHALE was referring to the same document...

Damn! It's too big to load here. I'll find the link...

EDIT:
Here it is...

http://media.spicerparts.com/cfs/fil...store=original

Last edited by Dr Crankenstein; 06-18-2017 at 08:20 PM. Reason: Add link
Old 06-19-2017, 03:05 AM
Rusty Rat Rodder

here`s a good vid on the matter

https://youtu.be/gmV4qwLfOMY
Old 06-19-2017, 11:12 AM
Builder Junky!

This is all good advice, but I want to underline one thing Dr. Crank said, 'Ignore the intake / carb flange angle', as it is usually 3 to 4 degrees off crankshaft level. Don't measure your motor, transmission angle where it's easy, [the carb base] measure where it's hard to get at like the pan flange.
While I'm whining about finding a nice place to measure from, I should say, some rear-ends have no visible surface that is parallel to the pinion shaft. You may have to take the driveshaft off and measure from the yoke.
Good luck.