Custom Mopar ????

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the good thoughts gang.
Been busy setting up my follow up appts. As well the another echo cardiogram with dye this time.The one that they did prior to the implant showed something"Less then Ideal." So we will see.
In the mean time....
Here are some pics of one of the most famous sectioned custom built. The "Polynesian"
Done by the great Valley Custom shop for Jack Stewart.
You can get a pretty good idea whats going to be involved.:eek:
Most of the early sectioned cars were not chopped.
Photos courtesy of the Kustomrama site.
This car still exists.:cool: :D [cl
Torchie

Attachments

• 400px-Jack-stewart-1950-oldsmobile-sectioned.jpg
    400px-Jack-stewart-1950-oldsmobile-sectioned.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 32
  • 400px-Jack-stewart-1950-oldsmobile-sectioned2.jpg
    400px-Jack-stewart-1950-oldsmobile-sectioned2.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 32
  • 400px-Jack-stewart-1950-oldsmobile-the-polynesian-4.jpg
    400px-Jack-stewart-1950-oldsmobile-the-polynesian-4.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 35
It's not just a matter of cutting them in half LOL

No kidding! (I'll stick to cutting pictures and leave the rest to you.)

I had a boy scout leader who often said, "Good luck and good honey." I'm still not sure what he meant, but it seems appropriate here...

I had a boy scout leader who often said, "Good luck and good honey." I'm still not sure what he meant, but it seems appropriate here...

LOL. Who knows Crank.[S
Speaking of good honey. The black bear has been back visiting my remaining hives again so the bee guys are picking them up for transport down south tonight.
Bye bye, till next spring little buddies.:(
Torchie

Used to be a common phrase in these parts..."Good luck and good hunting" Are ya sure he was saying "honey"?

I'm sure it was honey, though I may have heard what I wanted to hear... the girl scouts met in another part of the same building, same night, same time. [ddd

That's a great lookin car [cl :cool: [P

Yep.OI. :cool:
The Polynesian is probably my favorite sectioned car. Valley Customs had a great eye for proportions.
I have seen other that look too top heavy.
Probably why I went with a mild chop.
Must have had a section for the Dodge in the back of my mind all along.[ddd :p :D
Torchie

Take your time and heed the recovery recommendations Torchie.....I just had one installed as well, and the cardiac clinician counselled me "right good". I think she could tell by my "how soon can I.....questions" that I'd be pushing my luck. Between her and my lovely wife, I haven't done much for the past few weeks. I'm getting there. I did however call my pacer manufacturer with regard to the welding question - and they told me as long as it's less than 160 amps, and to keep the machine and arc well away from my pacer and I'd have nothing to worry about. Now, that's my specific machine. I'm not giving ANY advice here, other than to call your manufacturer and ask. Good luck on the recovery - I know I feel like a new man!

Take your time and heed the recovery recommendations Torchie.....I just had one installed as well, and the cardiac clinician counselled me "right good". I think she could tell by my "how soon can I.....questions" that I'd be pushing my luck. Between her and my lovely wife, I haven't done much for the past few weeks. I'm getting there. I did however call my pacer manufacturer with regard to the welding question - and they told me as long as it's less than 160 amps, and to keep the machine and arc well away from my pacer and I'd have nothing to worry about. Now, that's my specific machine. I'm not giving ANY advice here, other than to call your manufacturer and ask. Good luck on the recovery - I know I feel like a new man!
If they were willing to say that out loud, I suspect that it is way safer than that in reality. That said, I agree that checking with the pros is the best advice. Its not the kind of thing to be wrong about. :D

I wonder if it would be no problem if you wore one of those lead deals across the area where the pace maker is while welding. (Like they use when you're getting x-rays.)
Some place I might still have a lead envelope that was for keeping film in when putting stuff through the x-ray machines at the airport. But I think I got rid of it after 2001, when they started going through everything, and would have flipped out if they saw a blob on the screen that they couldn't recognize. I took a solid rubber wheel for a 3-point mower deck down to Brazil after that, and they didn't believe me when I told them what it was, till they saw it. The lady looked up at me with a bewildered look on her face, and said, "It's a wheel...."
But if that would help, I wonder how thick it would need to be.

I wonder if it would be no problem if you wore one of those lead deals across the area where the pace maker is while welding. (Like they use when you're getting x-rays.)
Some place I might still have a lead envelope that was for keeping film in when putting stuff through the x-ray machines at the airport. But I think I got rid of it after 2001, when they started going through everything, and would have flipped out if they saw a blob on the screen that they couldn't recognize. I took a solid rubber wheel for a 3-point mower deck down to Brazil after that, and they didn't believe me when I told them what it was, till they saw it. The lady looked up at me with a bewildered look on her face, and said, "It's a wheel...."
But if that would help, I wonder how thick it would need to be.

In my non-medical opinion I don't think the lead would help anything really. It's most likely the electrical current that has potential to flow back through you, not any "rays".

**EDIT** I found some information that may be of use, but again as BillM said the best bet would be to phone your manufacturer. https://www.arc-zone.com/blog/carmenelectrode/2012/04/05/is-it-safe-to-weld-with-a-pacemaker/

Thanks for the good thoughts gang.
Been busy setting up my follow up appts. As well the another echo cardiogram with dye this time.The one that they did prior to the implant showed something"Less then Ideal." So we will see.
In the mean time....
Here are some pics of one of the most famous sectioned custom built. The "Polynesian"
Done by the great Valley Custom shop for Jack Stewart.
You can get a pretty good idea whats going to be involved.:eek:
Most of the early sectioned cars were not chopped.
Photos courtesy of the Kustomrama site.
This car still exists.:cool: :D [cl
Torchie

I've never done a section but they seem to be really involved, Especially on a car of that vintage. Not only do you cut the body panels, but you also have to cut the firewall and all internal panels/bracing and weld them back together as they were.

A friend did a pickup a few years back, it seems to me that would be much easier to do.

The Polynesian is a beautiful car!

You are correct that it's easier to do a pickup than a car.
The 53 AD that I've done, wasn't bad at all. The cars have twice as much to do.

This is kind of wordy but hang in there.....

No worries on the taking it easy part, BillM. I have my one week follow up on Weds. Good to hear that you are feeling like a new man.:)
What your were told is pretty much the "Boiler Plate" wording that I was told as well. The issue with that for me is that with my eye sight I need to be close to the Arc to see.:eek: [;) [;)
I also been told that the tack method that I do for body metal is safer as well due to not have a prolonged current for the PM to pick up on and read.
Neto.I had your thoughts about the lead as well , but all of my investigations doesn't show this as a solution. I even went so far as to looking into getting an x-ray style lead vest. lol

Skip. You should have been a Lawyer....LOL

OI. You did a great job on that AD.

If I go ahead with the section(Most Likely) I will either have a friend do some tacks with the Mig to hold things in place then I will come back and gas weld. Or I will do it all with gas.
Still trying to find a place near me that leases tanks. Most of them are now requiring you to buy the tanks.

I've never done a section but they seem to be really involved, Especially on a car of that vintage. Not only do you cut the body panels, but you also have to cut the firewall and all internal panels/bracing and weld them back together as they were.

A friend did a pickup a few years back, it seems to me that would be much easier to do.

The Polynesian is a beautiful car!

Just like chopping a car vs a truck. Sectioning a car vs a truck cab is the same in name only.LOL But to my mind, sectioning(If done well) is still the ultimate in custom cars.
I do have a few things going here that put me ahead of the 8 ball though.
This Dodge is just a shell. No interior.No dash. No side glass or window internals to remove from the doors. And no engine to have to try to work around when cutting the firewall. Not having to deal with removing all of that is saving a lot of time and effort.
The front clip and the one rear fender are just clamped or tacked into place so about 30 minutes and they are off as well.
And I have done everything that I would do to this car before(In some cases, multiple times..[ddd ) so I do have experience going for me.
If you look at the pic I posted of the proposed route of the cuts you can see that they are at times at different levels. This for 2 reasons. The first being where the panels are the flattest and will meet together the best . The second being where there is the least amount of internal bracing to cut thru.
When I bought this project it was with the intent to just be able to continue to do what I have loved to do since I was a lad. Wether or not it gets finished isn't even part of the equation.
Over the course of my seemingly chronic illness's, I have lost the ability to do many of the things that I was passionate about and I'm not quite ready to give this passion up.
So that's my sad tale of woe for today......[ddd Seems like I just wrote a novel.:rolleyes:
Keep on keeping on.
Torchie

Keep up with the recovery advice and get well soon. From what I've seen you do, I know you will find a way to finish it. You are an inspiration to all of us.

In my non-medical opinion I don't think the lead would help anything really. It's most likely the electrical current that has potential to flow back through you, not any "rays".

That reminds me of a weird deal I had with a customer's computer. It was in a case designed to lay flat, and they had it on a shelf under the front counter. They had stuffed the power strip up on top of the computer case, but the wireless mouse was acting up, not responding at all, or delaying movement. I moved the electrical wires out of the path of the wireless communication, and it began to work correctly. So yeah, there's definitely electricity leaks, and with a welder you're talking a great deal more than just 110 AC.

Latest posts

Back