Hemi on Fire

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PA41

I have a 354 project motor that burned up in my shop fire. It was so hot it melted the pistons out of it and the engine stand was so hot it laid the motor over. I have a lot $ in it, and was wondering if the crank/head/block might be salvageable. Any way of telling? Thanks for any input.

Man that's hot to melt the pistons out of it. I had a 454 Chevy that the pickup burned down around it. It didn't get anywhere near that hot. I built it back after all the machine work was done and the crank broke between the rear main and the rear cylinder throws within a month.

I wouldn't chance building that Hemi myself.
Sorry for your loss.

Man, if it got that hot I'd be scared the temper would be gone out of the metal. I think I'd find another engine to start on.

I'd take the block and heads to the machine shop and get their advice.
Don't think I'd trust the crank.

I agree with that. that crank is annealed pretty good. My guess is the block should be ok as long as it didnt change shape. Personally, I would slap some paint on and enjoy the looks.

I got burnt many times on this thing. Had about $5K in it and never got it running. I'm finally getting to the "aww-- it's just stuff" Stage. May slice the heads up for cut a way demo thing. Insurance covered the shop and tools, but not the car parts, but came out OK that way. Its just stuff.

Attachments

• feb2014fire 027.jpg
    feb2014fire 027.jpg
    188.7 KB · Views: 61
I think I would be writing that one off. You would have a ton of cash in rebuilding it and if the block presents an issue post-build then you are back to square one. If you want to build a Hemi I would find one that doesn't look like it came out of a volcano. Sorry about your loss, but at least your insurance covered most of it. Even that is a struggle sometimes...

The up side to the deal is I have a lifetime supply of burned up tools to make trophies and door handles out of. BTW The insurance inspector traced the origin to my recharging station for my Dewalt tools. He claimed it was real common. I still use them, just don't have them charging when I not there.

The up side to the deal is I have a lifetime supply of burned up tools to make trophies and door handles out of. BTW The insurance inspector traced the origin to my recharging station for my Dewalt tools. He claimed it was real common. I still use them, just don't have them charging when I not there.

I had a Snap On charger and battery go up in flames on me...luckily I was right there when it happened or I would be in the same position as you.

As for the engine I would say it is junk. The aluminum will melt at 1100F or greater so I would say all of the temper is gone out of the block and associated parts. I would bet they are as warped as the engine stand by now...

I got burnt many times on this thing. Had about $5K in it and never got it running. I'm finally getting to the "aww-- it's just stuff" Stage. May slice the heads up for cut a way demo thing. Insurance covered the shop and tools, but not the car parts, but came out OK that way. Its just stuff.

wow paul sorry for your loss.

Sucks about the fire. Glad to have you back around. Hope the Bentley survived. :rolleyes:

Thanks Sam.. Yeah The Bentleys still with me--Running Yard Art. I still get a grin outta it. I built a tin shop back after the fire for storage, but its not a good working shop. Plan to build another more comfortable one after I get the bathroom in the home finished. Maybe be able to mess with the boat tail then. I'm retired, so have the time, but now my hands are arthritic and hurt all the time. Never thought they would give up on me. This retired stuff is great--kinda like being a 14 year old. I get an allowance and have no responsibilities . I was laying on my back working on my Ts gas tank in the yard the other day and got distracted looking at clouds and birds and airplane con trails. Regressing.

Still got the 26 tin coupe. The 26 Speedway roadster bodied car was stored in a side shed. Was wanting to take the 455 Pontiac out and replace it with a fuel friendly powerplant. 6-8 mpg was hard to live with when fuel was 4.50 gal. Found a deal North of Dallas -- guy sold me a new Speedway 26 roadster body for $650. love a bargain, but 700 miles round trip was a pit much for an old fat guy. Here's a couple pics.

Attachments

• nonturboT%20020LL.jpg
    nonturboT%20020LL.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_4707.jpg
    IMG_4707.jpg
    181.6 KB · Views: 28
at least it wasn't a total loss. how did the fire happen? i have been half as looking for a 400 pontiac for the roadster. homemade intakes (fake 6-2's) are easy for them. otherwise it will be amc or buick powered. had to many problems with the starter on the small block chevy so it get a cast iron bellhousing and bellhousing mounted starter.

The charger for my 18v DeWalt was being used, and they apparently light off sometimes. It was sitting on my metal bolt bin, but I had parked my cutting torch next to the bin, and I must have left a tank valve on. I had one of my security cameras on the shop window and it showed a smallish flickering fire, then a bit larger, then the window blew out and it looked like a jet engine started in the shop when the torch tanks lit off. It was about 2 AM and the roar of the tanks woke me up. The local volunteer firemen showed up in 11 minutes, but by then my oil and fuel storage had got going, about 20 gallons of oil and hydraulic fluid (I farm) and about the same in diesel and gas. The heat broke two windows in the house, and the roof shingles were smoking when the vol firemen arrived, so they saved my home. Basically just a light duty near miss, but a jolt. Makes me realize what a civilized life we live. I appreciate that we don't have all the terrorists and war going on here, like so much of the world. Thanks to those that stand on the walls, and those that come to our aid. We got a good place to live cause of them. I don't thank them enough.

Latest posts

Back