some vintage drags

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is where it started for me...

cdn

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-06XPxEGW8

A few hours from me in NY they have a dragstrip that does a nostalgic run every year. I always try to make it. Does bring back memories. Jim

too bad there never was much drag racing here. Formula1 back in the days and motorbike races. no drags...

great vid smallfoot...thanks for posting

Thanks for sharing small! I was born a generation too late. I'm fascinated (and somewhat obsessed) with drag racing in the 60's...

@ 4:23... Danny Ongais driving Mickey Thompson's Mustang on a heavy load of nitro... listen to that animal "thump" and watch him hang on to it at the big end!

Dozer: I can't find the old Keystone/Bison site anymore. [S It was chock full of pictures including this creation from the Winnipeg area...

9a7b4ffc2ca0294da76639a2345e7cb0--dragracing-vintage-racing.jpg

Posted a million times all over the internet, nobody mentions where it's from!

One of these days I’d love to go to Arkansas to George Ray’s Wildcat strip. Narrow track never changed since it was built, lots of videos of it. It’s been on some TV shows, too. Heads up, run what you brought and hope you brought enough!

We had one that was only slightly wider about 40 miles from here, it closed up after being in business over 50 years when a big new track was built about 15 miles from it opened up. I saw some fast cars there, down in the low 4’s in the 1/8 th, now they are running high 3’s at the new track! There have been a couple of efforts to open it back up, but couldn’t get a big enough crowd. There’s a few vids of it, too, Winston County Dragstrip on You Tube.

wow !! so cool ..

what if there was a separate space on the forum for all this , links old film etc..there is so much history

i could watch for hours,, and made more real with all you guys memoirs

Bama, was that Lasiter Mountian? Not sure about spelling

No Phil, the Mountain is up close to Birmingham. It’s still open. Winston County DS is in Lynn Al. Right beside AL 5, between Jasper and Natural Bridge.

I’ve ran at the Mountain a time or two. Years ago, mid 80’s. Never did run Winston County, it was a pretty rough track, in more ways than one.

I was actually searching for some footage of the Mamba when it ran at the Central Florida Dragway where I spent some time in the 60s and 70s. It's now called Orlando Speed World. I remember it when it pulled into the pits it was being towed thru the pit area and then a right turn onto the strip. When he fired the jet up it blew the old rickety wood fence down behind the starting line.
I found some vintage film here and there that showed the fence but haven't found any footage of the event. Here's another one I found on old film. Most these don't have sound(kinda sucks at the dragstrip):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXOkWR6lSFA

Latest posts

Back