'34 Dodge Brothers, double build.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you.
Today I put the brakes back together and installed them and the wheel.
Then I straightened the tie-rod out and put the new ends on it. [pic one].

Attachments

• IMG_2397.jpg
    IMG_2397.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 23
On my cross steering bracket I had to ream a bolt hole a little to one side because I had measured wrong, so I fixed that up. It's now mounted for the last time, [how many times have I thought that before].
I started beating on the passenger side fender today. The two pictures sorta' show how messy it is. Well, it's a little nicer tonight. I had been saving a 'wishbone' [the long curved bracket that the headlights bolt down through the fenders into], for a Dodge, maybe a '30-'31, so I tried it on the truck, because the original one holds the fenders up a wee bit too high. This older one holds them up twice as high, so I'll go back to the original and modify it some. I also installed grease nipples in the tie rod ends and greased them. This took longer that I thought because I ran out of straight 1/8" NPT nipples.

Attachments

• IMG_2411.jpg
    IMG_2411.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_2412.jpg
    IMG_2412.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 22
Not quite sure you are at the point of needing that long board yet, Mac.:eek:[dr [ddd
All kidding aside...
You are making good progress.:cool:
[P [P [P
Torchie

I purposely put that in the picture as a prop to see if you were sleeping or paying attention. OR. I didn't even see it there when I took the picture, but I did use it a little bit on the other fender to see where I was at. My body tools are spread all over the floor and kicked around somewhat. I can see your tongue in your cheek.

I purposely put that in the picture as a prop to see if you were sleeping or paying attention. OR. I didn't even see it there when I took the picture, but I did use it a little bit on the other fender to see where I was at. My body tools are spread all over the floor and kicked around somewhat. I can see your tongue in your cheek.

[ddd:D[ddd:D
Torchie

nice work Mac ! sadly Tripper is right there are many lost skills these days, nice to see someone keeping them going !

not too sure bout the bondo file trip hazard tho :) (smilies not working !)

I don't mind using 'Bondo', but not on the front of a vehicle because flying rocks take biggish divots out of it. I live a way out in the country so have gravel roads to contend with. Besides, this is supposed to be a roughish ratrod.
Today I went out to my machine shed and robbed the brake line junction out of a '33 Plymouth. [pic one] It turned out to be quite a job. It cleaned up nicely. [pic two]. This brass block goes all of the way through the frame, joining the two front wheel lines and the master cylinder on the inside of the frame and connecting to the rubber hose on the outside. There was some belly tin, haywired on this truck so I straightened it out, cut the hay wire and then bolted the tin on properly.

Attachments

• IMG_2413.jpg
    IMG_2413.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_2414.jpg
    IMG_2414.jpg
    152.7 KB · Views: 17
I've been walking by the motor for quite a while, so I thought today I better get it apart and see what I've got and what I need. The transmission and bellhousing are off now. The clutch and flywheel are off too. The friction disc is worn a bit but I studied and measured it and decided it'll still be going after I'm not. Pulling the vibration damper and pulleys off the front is not going well, but there was some good news. The motor was seized up when I took the heads off so I sprayed liquid wrench around the pistons and a week later I whacked them with a block and a big hammer. Then I sprayed them again. While I was trying to loosen the big bolt in the front end of the crank with a 3/4" drive ratchet and a snipe, the motor broke loose.

Attachments

• IMG_2367.jpg
    IMG_2367.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 18
Thanks guys.
Dozer, a 'rotating' rotating mass is even better.
Yesterday I took the Poly 318 apart and found our why the engine had poor oil pressure for years. One rod bearing was worn out.
Two pistons had been stuck and the penetrating oil had freed them up a wee bit. They were still kinda' hard to get out. My chunk of broom handle is not as good as it used to be.

I've cleaned up most of the pistons and removed the rings. The two seized pistons were really annoying to get the rings out of. It's also taking a long time to clean the ring grooves out. I'll order the rings and bearings tomorrow, I think.

Well, I ordered the rings and bearings for the 318. I got working on that little brass brake junction that I had robbed out of my Plymouth parts car. Here it is installed. [pic one].
Then I tackled the front spring hangers, [pic two], with a grinder. The frame is too light at the front to just rivet the hangers to, so they had both ripped the bottom of the frame apart and had been roughly welded on. I don't want the safety inspector throwing up while he's under my truck, so I'm going to fix them up.

Attachments

• IMG_2419.jpg
    IMG_2419.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_2421.jpg
    IMG_2421.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 23
Yep, Dozer, it's not pretty under there. Luckily, I'm not showing you all of the problems that I have to fix or you'd start wondering about me. The old fellow that had the truck before was NOT mechanically inclined and really, really cheap so nothing got fixed. If run a machine broken and misaligned for long enough you create even more problems.
Anyhow, I had a town day today, getting groceries, picking up my rings and bearings and ordering the spring pins and bushings.
I made the patch for the bottom of the frame at the front.

I welded the patch on the bottom of the frame and cleaned it up a bit. The other day I said the frame iron was actually a little too thin to support the spring hangers, well, I didn't factor in that 'too thin tin' is now 86 years old, and has flexed a wee bit all the time and has rusted somewhat. It was quite a chore to weld a new piece of iron to the bottom of it.
Oh dang, I forgot to take a picture of my CAD program for making the patch. Once, this afternoon I was looking right at that piece of cardboard and then forgot.

Attachments

• IMG_2422.jpg
    IMG_2422.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 23

Latest posts

Back