Saved from the "back burner" of doom

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmlcolorado

Well folks, I managed to get myself ANOTHER project. My ADD appears to be becoming more prevalent in my garage projects these days.

This one I picked up for a cool $800. 1980 Suzuki GS1000. Are you starting to see a pattern here?

This bike is the second bike I ever really modified, though it never finished. Owner saw the first bike I did, picked up this one for me to go to town on, moved out of his house and in the process lost the title. I had it all pretty much mocked up, but then he lost interest. It's been moving house to house with me, and has sat in storage for the last 4 years.
Being that I was building this bike prior to some of my acquired tools and knowledge, the quality isn't quite there. It looks okay, and would probably do just fine as a rat bike, but I know if I put more time into it, it could end up being a much better bike.

It's got a -3" DNA springer, and hard tail on it with a springer seat. Being that the bike wasn't stretched or raked, it's got a squatty look to it, which I actually kinda like. Fits the "bobber" theme pretty well.

One thing I DO know is the springer isn't setup right on it. I don't have much knowledge in springers, but I do know new rockers need produced to get the steering trail back into spec. My buddy rode it a few times (this being the first bike he's EVER ridden, but I never did. Based off the math, I suspect the bars are 'heavy' at slow speeds. Again, I know this can be corrected with new rockers.

When I built this bike, I didn't have a wife and kids in mind, and now that I have both, I would prefer to have a soft tail one-up seater. I'm not sure I can accomplish that goal from this bike (but I'm sure I could if I put a bunch of thought into it). I REALLY want a bike me and the wife can enjoy together.
Even if that means I build this one, and sell it to get a better suited bike for that need.

With that said, I'm very open to what to make this one into so I want some opinions. Should I keep the bike "as-is", clean it up, sport it for a minute and sell it? Or should I take the whole thing back to the drawing board to make it more extreme and appealing to perspective buyers to sell?
Or should I try my hand at a soft tail one-up bike and hang onto it?

It is a shaft drive, so that limits some things, but not a bunch.

As far as the title goes, I have an identical make/model bike in storage with clean title (again, from ANOTHER buddy who bought and lost interest) who is willing to part with for a few hundred. That bike is totally un-modified. Either way, one has to go to be a title doner so I can only have one of the two.

Here she is:

photo-160.jpg

photo-161.jpg

photo-162.jpg

Last edited:
Drive it a little and see what interest it brings. I'd find a different bike for yourself. I like this one as-is.

I agree. Clean it up, Ride it and try to flip it. It has a great look to it that I am sure someone will have to have just the way it sits.

By the way for being one of your first builds it looks awesome [cl. It is almost as cool as the trike:D

I agree. Clean it up, Ride it and try to flip it. It has a great look to it that I am sure someone will have to have just the way it sits.

By the way for being one of your first builds it looks awesome [cl. It is almost as cool as the trike:D

:D
That darn trike!
It's sitting in the project pile (garage) still. I'll finish it up one of these days, just for you :)

Hope all has been going good for you

Things have been going great! I decided to get out of insurance restoration and into production home building. It's a new venture as I have little experience in the production world. Gotta tell ya, it's fast! It really keeps my mind busy, which is good and bad.
Time flys by so quick I can't hardly keep up, which is unfortunate for the projects, since down time is usually when I think about the projects.
However, the money is better, which is good for the projects.
Daughter is 15 months now, and she's a blast!
Kinda funny, now she knows where to find me. If I'm not in the house, she'll sneak out and into the garage to chase me down. Guess I need to get her some eye protection and gloves :D

And just cause I have the excuse to share, here are some fun photos of her
Mama was trying on a helmet the other night, and she really wanted to try it on too
photo-165.jpg

photo-166.jpg

photo-169.jpg

And she's more than willing to lend a hand with the projects
photo-167.jpg

photo-168.jpg

Ain't it great to be a Dad! Looks like that cab behind your bike would make a cool rat rod truck - you should build that. :rolleyes:

My garage is kind of compact. When the trucks in there is gets fun if the dually are on it. Lol

That's great man I hope your new venture works out for you they say everyone needs a change. I am currently looking for my change and hoping a new venture works out. Took some time away from everything because I lost my mom in January to cancer and inherited a farm so on top of work I am trying to run the farm and get it all sorted out. But it did make me realize that life isn't all about work and family is first no matter if you're broke or rich. I was always the one who puts everything into my job and neglected my family I am now home more and spending time with them. Like you my son is 2 and a half and always tracks me down wanting to help "dada fix stuff". It is a great feeling and I regret losing my mom made me realize it.

But on a lighter side things are going pretty good now and I actually have been working on the truck so that one day me and my boy can take it for a spin.

My garage is kind of compact. When the trucks in there is gets fun if the dually are on it. Lol

That's great man I hope your new venture works out for you they say everyone needs a change. I am currently looking for my change and hoping a new venture works out. Took some time away from everything because I lost my mom in January to cancer and inherited a farm so on top of work I am trying to run the farm and get it all sorted out. But it did make me realize that life isn't all about work and family is first no matter if you're broke or rich. I was always the one who puts everything into my job and neglected my family I am now home more and spending time with them. Like you my son is 2 and a half and always tracks me down wanting to help "dada fix stuff". It is a great feeling and I regret losing my mom made me realize it.

But on a lighter side things are going pretty good now and I actually have been working on the truck so that one day me and my boy can take it for a spin.

Ya know what they say, no garage is ever big enough. We'll always find something to fill it :rolleyes:

I'm sorry to hear about your mother. That's tough man. I can't imagine mine not being around. Your absolutely right, family is first. If you ain't got them, do who do you really have?
Funny you mention a farm, the lady and I were talking about horses the other day (we both love em) but we both agreed that we would be insane to ever get any. Not to mention a whole farm! That's a full time job by itself!
Props to you for keeping it together [cl
BTW, I saw you mention your gonna paint the gmc!? I think we get banned for that kind of talk around these parts :D

Ya know what they say, no garage is ever big enough. We'll always find something to fill it :rolleyes:

I'm sorry to hear about your mother. That's tough man. I can't imagine mine not being around. Your absolutely right, family is first. If you ain't got them, do who do you really have?
Funny you mention a farm, the lady and I were talking about horses the other day (we both love em) but we both agreed that we would be insane to ever get any. Not to mention a whole farm! That's a full time job by itself!
Props to you for keeping it together [cl
BTW, I saw you mention your gonna paint the gmc!? I think we get banned for that kind of talk around these parts :D

Yep showed the wife my plans for the bigger shop out back:D

She's in a better place now and not hurting anymore.
I always told her after growing up on the farm I would never have animals lol. I was happy with my one dog
She left me 12 horses, 12 mini donkeys, 60 goats, 7 dogs, a crap load of chickens, 3 rabbits and a duck
She's up there laughing about it now lol

I never said how I was going to paint it! :D

Since you're in contact with the previous owner of this bike, can you not get a title reissued for it & use the stock bike & title as well?
-Chaz

I like the bike pretty much as it is. The tank is too pudgy and the lines of it don't quite flow and the mags are wrong, especially for a springer. I'd leave it a hardtail and ride/sell it , then start another soft tail build.

Latest posts

Back