My mad house

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You didn't bird mouth the ends? [S All the pressure is on a small area if you didn't. I always cut a bird mouth where a rafter crosses a header.

I'm hoping to build me a new covered parking area next year. Mine will be 20' x 30', so my rafters will be 24' x8" 's or maybe 2" x10" 's. I want a full span without a center support. That way, my floor will be open without a post in the middle somewhere for me to bang a door against. Later on, I want to enclose it and put on garage doors to keep everything out of sight.

You didn't bird mouth the ends? [S All the pressure is on a small area if you didn't. I always cut a bird mouth where a rafter crosses a header.

I'm hoping to build me a new covered parking area next year. Mine will be 20' x 30', so my rafters will be 24' x8" 's or maybe 2" x10" 's. I want a full span without a center support. That way, my floor will be open without a post in the middle somewhere for me to bang a door against. Later on, I want to enclose it and put on garage doors to keep everything out of sight.

Yes I did notch it where is crosses the header. In that picture it is not visible. It is a shallow grade so the notch is not very big. It is definitely sitting on both ledgers for the end. The ledger is a double 2x12 treated, the posts are 6x6 treated. I think it should be OK.

I used the 2x2 angle iron trusses.. mine is a 30x40 no post ,, 2x6x10 for runners to screw tin to 2' apart .. best $130 each I ever spent on trusses ,,, which was cheaper than buying wood for $112 each at 3 ' apart ,, the iron trusses are 10' and 12' apart so you need less :D Oh and the 30x40 aint big enough either

Yeah I feel pretty good about how it is right now. Just need to finish the last few joists so I can move on to the next step. Didn't get as far as I wanted to the last few days. Might try and get a couple more done tonight. Need to empty my trailer for other stuff so this needs to be done.

Picked up the stuff to put decking on the joists so hopefully this will be finished in the next couple days! Excited to be able to get back to working on my toys.

Last night was fun. So the steel sheets for the roof have been laying in the yard. Then it started to snow. Yup froze em to the ground and turned them all in to a big old frozen block. But kicked my muscles in to action and pulled them up on to the trailer and put them in the barn. Hopefully they thaw out in the next couples days. Going to give them some encouragement with the salamander heater.

Well aside from some general clean up and trim work its pretty well done. Need to put in some lights and other stuff, but overall I am pretty happy with it.

IMG_20141125_165152_185_zpskfozff3a.jpg

Great work.....are you planning to enclose that area too? Just being nosy..lol

I plan to put sides on it in the future, but it will probably always be open on the end. Either that or some sliding doors there. Since it is only 16ft long it is just long enough to put a car under so it would have to be 3 sliding doors or I would not have easy access to all areas. For now I am happy to have the roof, maybe in the spring there will be a wall on the north side. The south side is kind of shielded by a vined up wall fence thing.

Looks good, hopefully the wind we have had did not cause any problems.

The roof was not on at the time of the wind just the posts and joists. I put in some extra screws and anchors in the barn because of the wind so hopefully it wont be an issue.

Got my lights wired up there this morning and a motion light on the back. Now I may be able to see whats going on out there..... almost done ish....

OK....let me get this straight....

so....the lights are on but Nobody's home??? And screw me once shame on you screw me twice...shame on me?? :D I'll just leave this post Open Ended...

You my Michigan brother....

Oh how I have missed your posts like this....... good to have you back sarge

Are probably the only one...LOL...:D My kid asks me...."Do you listen to yourself"?....my answer...."Nope"....:D Thanks, by the way....it's good to be back....

Got my heat hooked up in the shop!! Man that is a nice option! Sure my gas company likes it too...

It's absolutely amazing what a little quality heat does!
I don't know how your shop is setup, but mine is just a two car with a roof over it. No insulation yet. Found that even a little heat goes through the roof and melts any kind of snow, causing ice damming, then pours onto the driveway. Not safe, and mold loves ice damming.

Latest posts

Back