'34 Dodge Brothers, double build.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep Dutch, at first I had the heat too high but I've kept turning it down until I could start gaining thickness now. After trying to weld 'partly overhead' new iron to old, thin, worn out tin, the air in the shop was really blue. It wasn't all welding smoke.

my 41 was my last prewar for a while, too much rust and not enough tape measure (everything was sortafit back then) :D

keep going on yours!

As I was cutting the front hanger off a few days ago I was a little rough so it had to be rebuilt. pic one. and then the whole thing was placed properly and new holes were drilled, so here it is finished, bolted on, and painted. Hopefully it will look like I never touched it. pic 2.

Attachments

• IMG_2425.jpg
    IMG_2425.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_2426.jpg
    IMG_2426.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 31
There's a little more done. I took the hub and drum off the driver side and spent quite a bit of time taking the wheel off the hub. All of the wheel bolts were stripped out or lost so the old fellow [PO] put ordinary bolts in from the drum side. Some were welded in some were leaded in. The wheel nut on one of these bolts was seized on and the bolt turned.
Anyhow, I got them all separated and the hub removed from the drum. [pic one]. Here's the new drum riveted on to the old hub. No new wheel studs yet.[pic two]. This kingpin was not as worn out as the passenger side one so it is going a little quicker. Here's the new kingpin fitted in the axle, [pic three].

Attachments

• IMG_2427.jpg
    IMG_2427.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_2428.jpg
    IMG_2428.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_2429.jpg
    IMG_2429.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 26
Dr. Crank, this side looks a lot like the other side, so I was guessing that some blacksmith fixed it up once, maybe fifty years ago, like Bob says with the heat and beat method.
I whacked it a couple of times myself, but it was cold so nothing happened.

Anyhow, I reamed out the bushings in the spindle and shortened this new kingpin. Voila', I put it together. pic 1. Here's the first fitting of the new backing plate. It's from the back wheel so it is quite different. pic 2.

Attachments

• IMG_2430.jpg
    IMG_2430.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_2431.jpg
    IMG_2431.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 15
I drifted away onto other things today, like tractor things, so not much progress.
This wheel used to have wheel bolts, possibly lefthand thread, but the threads were mangled and all of the bolts were missing. Here's the new wheel studs in the hub.
The backing plate is moving slowly forward.

Attachments

• IMG_2432.jpg
    IMG_2432.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 14
Here's the backing plate beat into shape, tested and painted. [pic one]
I've got the bearings in the hub now and it's even been fitted on there once.
Once I make some, lower, shoe, anchor, adjusting bolts that will fit I'll be set to put the hub on the spindle.

Attachments

• IMG_2433.jpg
    IMG_2433.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 10

Latest posts

Back