yes another 350 with vortec question

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

patina

First of all im more a bodyman / welder then i am a engine builder. I have a 80's 350 4 bolt for my 56 f100. I added a a elderbrock preformer dome to it and was happy with it. I acquired a set of 062 vortec heads for a swap. I know they need machine work to be able to get more lift. What i was wondering how much cam should i go with it and springs? Truck is a daily driver weekend cruiser and i dont want to go with a big cam and lose all my vacuum for power breaks but would enjoy the sound of cam. Im open to suggestions and interested in what you guys have to say. I should mention i probably wont be doing this swap till the winter.

best thing i ever did was call the tech line for comp cams. you better do your homework first cuz they will ask a ton of questions, but when you are done you will prolly get the cam best suited for your individual application. its a complicated process, and the right cam will be snappy, the wrong cam will make it lay down like a dog. remember the first rule of engine building: bigger is not always better. good luck

oh, things they will ask and are important to know beforehand, tire size, rear gear ratio, trans ratio, converter stall if auto, rpm range you're looking for, weight of vehicle, manifold, carberator cfm, lots stuffs...

Cut the spring pockets to fit z/28 LT1 style springs and then go with a GM hot cam for the zz4. Makes a nice 400hp motor with a bunch of mid range torque which is what you need. After the machine work the heads will physically support no more than .550 lift

Latest posts

Back