M38a1 build startup

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coffee Freak

Well just the other day, I brought home what will be the start of a LONG term project. Hopefully by the time I'm finished, rat rodding will still be cool.

I've been struggling with how to build what I have - a bombed out Suzuki Samurai tub, frame and axles into something that resembles a rat rod without looking cheesy and it just can't be done. The body lines are too square and the tin just is too cheap and plastic-y. So I've been struggling to find something a little more vintage, but truck cabs are 800-900 around here when you can find them, and that's just out of this stay-at-home-dad's price range.

I came across a deal on a M38a1 tub that the guy was asking $100 for. He really didn't want to take it to the crusher, but I know he could have got quite a bit doing so. To save it from the crusher, I offered what I could for it which was $50 and he agreed. Come to find out, my brother-in-law went to school with his neighbor and that's where the tub came from in the first place!

Here are some pictures of when I brought it home:

tailgate.jpg

tail_light.jpg

pass_side.jpg

glovebox.jpg

fendermarking.jpg

driver_side.jpg

I already have a t90 and Dana 18 combo to mate up with the Samurai axles I already have. The rear will be hung with stock Samurai springs and a lowering block, but the front will be hung with a traditional transverse spring and radius rods. Looks like I may be getting a Chevy 250 out of a truck for the engine.

What a deal on the body. That windshield and frame are worth what you gave for the body. Good choice on the frame. Hope to see more updates soon.[P

What a deal on the body. That windshield and frame are worth what you gave for the body. Good choice on the frame. Hope to see more updates soon.[P

Two windshield frames came with it. The original frame is pretty bent up, but I may be able to straighten it enough to use it cut down 4-6". In the picture it's laying on top of the cowl area. The one on the ground was from a different Jeep and is rotted out in the bottom corner. It does, however have a complete glass and rubber plus two 12 volt wiper motors on top (that supposedly work).

I'm hoping to sell some of the little brackets and stuff I don't need off the tub to get some of the $50 back as well. I have a spreadsheet already made up that is tracking my costs and sales from the rat rod build. So far, because I do a lot of horse-trading and sniffing around the freebie sections of Craigslist and other sites, I only have $133 into the whole thing so far. This includes the tub, frame, front and rear axle, rear springs, t90 transmission and Dand 18 transfer case, speedometer and guages, pair of seats, postal jeep wheels and a steering wheel. Pretty soon, the freebies and barters will slow down because some of the bigger ticket items I may have to buy new (like front suspension parts).

IIRC, M38A1 is the same as a CJ5 as far as the body is concerned. I had one several years ago with a Buick 231 V6 in it. Great little Jeep.

IIRC, M38A1 is the same as a CJ5 as far as the body is concerned. I had one several years ago with a Buick 231 V6 in it. Great little Jeep.

They are very similar and some parts interchange, but the more I look at it, the more I realize how different they really are. I grew up around Jeeps, but never one like this one.

Hey CoffeeFreak

I am fan of the Jeeps too...currently have 3 in my door yard. A 1947, 1960 and 1965. Welcome to the insanity....not a lot of Willys Stuff on this site...If I was you I wouldnt go to any of the Willys sites...some of those guys might not like what you are doing to it...

I kinda like the whole low buck theme you having going on here...As I can attest Willys Jeeps are not cheap to redo thats for sure....

MikeC

Hey CoffeeFreak

I am fan of the Jeeps too...currently have 3 in my door yard. A 1947, 1960 and 1965. Welcome to the insanity....not a lot of Willys Stuff on this site...If I was you I wouldnt go to any of the Willys sites...some of those guys might not like what you are doing to it...

I kinda like the whole low buck theme you having going on here...As I can attest Willys Jeeps are not cheap to redo thats for sure....

MikeC

I agree, some of those Willys guys are real purists, but I think even the purist guys would say this tub is too far gone to restore. This is about it's only hope to keep out of the landfill. At least I'll be pulling off any unneeded bracketry and fasteners and offering it up to those guys on the cheap, so the tar-and-feathering should be kept to a minimum...

I'm really geeked to get started on this. I'm pretty overwhelmed looking over the frame I have (Samurai) and the tub trying to marry the two and get stuff to line up. Should be interesting to say the least. I'd REALLY like to be able to title this thing as a 55 Willys Jeep but we will see what the DMV tells me. So far, it doesn't look like it was ever issued a civilian title, but I'm trying to get some more of the history.

Latest posts

Back